This makes me want to cry. :(

Havoc... yeah, that's why I edited my post to clarify my statement and reflect that. I was upset over those who on the news said they were trying to ride out the storm and kept their children there. I do understand there were many who simply couldnt leave. If you cant you cant. I felt so bad for the woman whose husband had lung cancer and died because he had no oxygen. They had no way to leave.

Pamela

i think the best thing we can do is to donate our money and any thing else to any one of the charitable organizations trying to help down there.

please guys, lets all help out.

havoc said:
Most of those people were too poor to leave. These people really had nothing before the hurricane, they have less now. You can't leave the city of you don't have a car, or you only have a quater tank ofgas and no money. If you ever drove through the poorer neiberhoods it would be easier to understand. There not just ghettos, they are somthing you would see in a 3rd world country. But i do understand what you mean.

You know what's even more upsetting. I heard folks talking about how a lot of people were beggin others for $5,$10,$20 of gas money to get out of town and were simply turned down. Getting out was one thing and those who stayed to watch over there possessions were nuts to begin with...They new the storm was coming...they gave warning to leave...why didn't they at that point load up school buses of those who could not leave and drive them out of there- before the storm hit.

Good news is that folks keep coming up though. I live in Oxford, MS(northern MS about an hour and a half south of Memphis, TN) and our little town is filled to the brim with people from farther south...we have several shelters set up at the University and in several churchs. And they keep coming in becuase all of the area around interstate 55 are full and have no gas at all by now.

Wow and i just got an email from the admin office upstair with a list nearly 200 zipcodes that mail has been suspended or partially suspended until further notice...that's just in MS. Holy crap. Man we here in Oxford got off lucky...real lucky. We have water and electricity and the gas scare is nothing but a scare.

It is amazing to think of how many refugees there are all over the southern states. Lots of the shelters here in Houston are full (not counting the Astrodome) and I heard reports from all over the state with reports of refugees. The numbers are just mind boggling.

As to the people who don't evacuate: I think when you've been through a 1 or a 2 you can't imagine how much more devastating a 4 or a 5 can be. I know that after looking at those pictures, there will be no doubt about what I will do if a 4 or 5 comes to Houston.

Most reactions

Back