This may sound ridiculous, but . . . (flash question)

Chancelynn2002

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting for years, with entry level pro film SLRs and last spring tipped my toes into digital with the Nikon P90 (I believe the newest incarnation is the P100). I have the opportunity to shoot some used gear (musical instruments) to advertise on my employer's website, and I've been invited to shoot my friend's wedding in July, and it just now has occured to me to think about lighting OTHER than the wimpy one that come standard with every camera.

Silly, huh?

I suppose my question is this: do ALL external flash units have to attach to the camera in some way?

I suppose I had thought perhaps you were expected to work them independently - I don't know. I DO know that my camera won't accept interchangeable flash units - what I have is what I have.

My only digital camera is a glorified point-n-shoot, and though I can tweak the manual settings and whatnot, it's still not a professional tool. I've no $$ for an upgrade, so this is what I have to work with.

I'm not concerned about my photos at work - we're getting a good backdrop and there's an umbrella shade and some real lighting there - but I absolutely do not want to mess up a wedding.

So what's the verdict?

well... there is no hotshoe, or connectors. You could buy a flash that can be triggered by your onboard flash.

Do NOT do the wedding with what you have. It will not work. Tell them you don't have the gear to do it and they are better off finding someone professional. As a wedding is something they want to remember forever, you will mess it up, sorry. It is absolutely ridiculous to even think of shooting a wedding with a point and shoot.

Do NOT do the wedding with what you have. It will not work. Tell them you don't have the gear to do it and they are better off finding someone professional. As a wedding is something they want to remember forever, you will mess it up, sorry. It is absolutely ridiculous to even think of shooting a wedding with a point and shoot.

+1, I forgot to add that. I wouldnt even say that my d200 is good enough for weddings.

+1, I forgot to add that. I wouldnt even say that my d200 is good enough for weddings.
Your D200 is good enough for weddings, if the right glass is mounted.

I'm sorry to bear the bad news to you but a point and shoot will not give any artistic touches to the pictures you'll be taking. If I were you I'd sit with them and ask what they expect of their wedding pictures and get to know what they desire.

Let them know what to expect from your abilities as a photographer and the equipment you have. Who knows... maybe they have a budget to buy you new equipment as long as you work for free!!!

Thanks everyone -those are my thoughts as well. They're having a very low key wedding, low budget, and don't have the funds (and maybe the inclination) of hiring a proper wedding photographer. They're pretty much just asking me to get some shots of the ceremony, reception, and some candids, as far as I'm aware.

I've mostly focused on filters, lenses, and other accessories in my photography, as I do more landscape and nature work, and haven't had to seriously deal with flash until now, thus, I know nothing about it.

New Q - I'm trying to upload some of my work, but so far it will only upload 1 photo, and when I try new ones it lies and tells me that it's successful, and then shows only my original photo and says I've only posted 1. I've tried to upload at least 4 other additional photos (all jpgs, so no problem there) but it's just not having it. ?

I would see if there are any local newbi photographers in your area and are willing to "practice" shooting their wedding celebration. Maybe they might be more than willing to offer digital photos for free?

if they really want you to shoot thier wedding at a low cost, have them rent a camera body and a good lens, (if you have the Knowledge to shoot with it).
that would be an option.

If all they want is someone to snap pics of the day then they'll get what they pay for. I'd be darned if I was the one they thought of everytime they looked at the only pic of jamming the cake into each other's mouths with the groom's head cut off. Not me. Uh uh.

if they really want you to shoot thier wedding at a low cost, have them rent a camera body and a good lens, (if you have the Knowledge to shoot with it).
that would be an option.

I was going to say the same.

It sounds like you may really want to do this.
If so, then maybe you should rent a camera/lens setup and practice one day. Rent it again the day of. Make sure to practice with the flash.
Renting a digital with a decent memory card gives you the chance of a few more shots, raising your chances of success strictly by percentages.

Most reactions

Back