This one is tricky - math riddle

Isn't 5 +19 x 2 =48

5 + (19 x 2) would equal 43

5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 30
5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 20
2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 5 = 13
5 + ( 5 x 2 ) = 15

Those who said 15 were close and got the math part right (my dear aunt sally) but didn’t get the “trick” that he was wearing shoes and holding those other things in his hands in the last line.

then this wasnt math equation.

I shoulda gone to school when I had the chance:)

I shall take comfort in knowing I can still do math, even if I don't see that well anymore :biglaugh:

You must do the multiplication first.

5 + 5 x 2 = ?

5 + 10 = 15

2 shoes = 10
1 person = 5
1 stick or candle = 2
1 shoe = 5

Update

I see the correct answer: 43.

Have been doing this on my phone and the resolution is not very good.

Last edited:
The first time I did this I came up with 20 then 48. Final answer is 43.
5 + ((5+5+5+2+2) x 2) =43

Not difficult at all IMO, except we're tricked into thinking the last line is all additions (which would be 19)
@dxqcanada is correct, as multiplication is done before addition unless brackets are used.
You are so right! I was so concerned with discerning the value of the symbols, I neglected noticing the operands!

Two shoes = 10
One shoe = 5
Two ties = 4
Single tie = 2
One man = 5

5 + (5 x 2) = 15

I had added all ignoring the x between man and the single tie and had not noticed that it was a single tie, not two!

Very sneaky, the resolution of your image isn't high enough to be sure, but if the blurs in his hands are the same as the items in line 3, and the ones on his feet are the trainers we end up with:
5 + (5+10+4) x 2 or 43!
A test of eyesight rather than math.
What!
That man in the bottom line is wearing shoes? And holding things? I still don't see it!

Well if nothing else it has kept people amused or driven mad for a few days lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back