This sucks!

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Been fighting a sinus infection for about a week! Allergies are at 110% and they keep me up at night. I feel so friggin' tired all the time...:meh:

Couple o' days ago went to the doc and he gave me antibiotics. Crapola, they don't seem to work.

Anyone having a good remedy for allergies aside from alcohol? :wink:

What's causing it?

If it's just about nose, then I will try putting a hot towel over your nose to warm it up.

Or if it's something from the air, I will get painter's filtering mask from homedepot:)
I actually wear it everyday now that I need to do my project in the shop. The amount of dust can really kill you.

Awww, you poor thing.

If its actually your sinuses causing the problem then i recommend a herbal remedy called Quercitin, check with your doctor first.

If its just about your nose, then go to the Body shop or any health shop and get eucalyptus oil, put a few drops into a bowl of boiling water and sit there for about 20 mins over the bowl with a towel over your head, works dreams!

Hope this helps :)

molested_cow said:
What's causing it?

Well... It's the incredible amount of pollen in the air, everything seems to be blooming, more so after the very rainy winter we had.

I'm doing some allergy drugs too but they seem too weak.

vixenta said:
Awww, you poor thing.

If its actually your sinuses causing the problem then i recommend a herbal remedy called Quercitin, check with your doctor first.

If its just about your nose, then go to the Body shop or any health shop and get eucalyptus oil, put a few drops into a bowl of boiling water and sit there for about 20 mins over the bowl with a towel over your head, works dreams!

Hope this helps :)

Thanks! I will research Quercitin, don't know if we have it in the States. Great idea about the Eucalyptus oil... Going tomorrow to the Bath and Body Shop around the corner. As we say here in the South... 'Much obliged!'

oops, i have only just noticed you're from the states, well good luck with that, and feel better!

Ok, then get yourself a painter's mask then, costs about $29.99. Get 3M with duo canisters. I garantee it will work.

Your friends may laugh at you, but that's the point!

I spent years taking all types of prescription sinus medicines and so on. Finally I went to an ear nose and throat doctor. They ended up doing surgery but it worked. I still have to take meds but at least now they respond. I went from having a full blown infection at least every two months to almost nothing. The only time I get them now is when I get lazy and stop taking my meds.

I don't know if they offer the proceedure in your area but here is some info on it.
http://www.methodisthealthsystem.org/body.cfm?id=26&oTopID=0

Don't take antibiotics* for allergies - antibiotics are for bacterial infections and they do not, as a rule, cause allergies. Antibiotics just tend to kill the flora and fauna that live in your gut and give you the runs. If you do take antibiotics then eat lots of live yoghurt (or pro-biotic drinks) near the end of the course of treatment.
I have known people to be tested for allergies - and apparently your diet can have a big effect. Some people have gotten rid of allergies by only minor changes in what they eat.
I don't know anything about this personally but maybe someone else can advise - or you could Google.

On a side note. Allergies can actually just come and go. My eldest developed hayfever when he was 12. The doctor diagnosed him as asthmatic, hence susceptible. He shows absolutely no symptoms of asthma and his hayfever has steadily gotten better - with no interventions or medication. Now all he gets is itchy eyes around Spring. But then so do I.

* Are you sure you don't mean anti-hystamines?

Poor Mitica!!! :hug:: Nothing worse than feeling exhausted and run down in the Spring, when you want to get out and enjoy the change of season.

If it really IS a sinus infection, antibiotics are okay, but hopefully you had a blood cell count taken to determine that prior to starting the antibiotics. Hertz is correct in saying they won't do much if your sinus troubles are caused by allergies.

As sucky as it sounds, you just have to struggle through and treat it symptomatically - ie, stuff to ease congestion, stuff to soothe your throat, etc. But antibiotics will be useless and do more harm on the immune system than good. Call your doctor if you're not entirely sure, and see if you should toss 'em or gradually decrease the dose over a few days.

Hope you feel better soon; I've been wondering where you've been!!! :)

i hear ya! i have family members that are having a terrible time with sinus infections this year; can't breathe, no sleep, etc. they've taken over-the-counter crap to no end and antibiotics that do absolutely nothing. ends up, they just wait it out. actually, i've never seen this go on like it has this year. i wonder if it's a different strain of virus that they can't get a handle on or if it's just a bad viral infection that lingers more than most, which antibiotics won't help anyway. either way, it's irritating as hell, especially when toddlers are involved.

Bimmie said:
I've had a sinusitis too for 2 weeks.
I had to sit it out..there was an old remedy where you had to boil an onion in water and drink it or so...but I chose not to go that way

Brrr... The thought of it makes me feel better! :lol:

No, seriously, I have been feeling better, much better this morning. I discovered I had some eucalyptus lozenges in my medicine cabinet and took one, it worked pretty well. Anyway, I'm functional today.

Thanks to all, Vixenta, Molested Cow, Hertz, Terri, Bimmie, Steve, Jon!

I guess, back to normal now... :wink:

hmm except alcohol... hmm difficult to find any... maybe beer? :)

Most reactions

Back