Thistles (What do you say about DOF here?)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, this is nothing special, just a couple of thistles next to the path to our holiday home in Ireland, but I am curious to know what you think about DOF in this particular picture?

Themes_Flowers_Thistles.jpg

Please never ask about technical details.
I never take notes.
My camera is a Canon EOS500N (not digital, as you may know), and I used Fujicolor DXF 200, and my Sigma DLMacro Super 70-300mm lense. I know that for sure.

Isn't anyone going to say anything on this photo?

I think I would crop it down to eliminate the stuff on the bottom and the left Just to make the subject stand out a little better.

I agree with Wilson, it needs to be cropped. With the main thistles larger in the frame the depth of field will be more effective.

I think your crop makes a much stronger image!

Yep, the crop gives it that appeal. My eyes aren't wondering all over the place. The DOF is much more stronger now. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you so for the input! :)

I also like the cropped photo. This is just a bit of personal taste that probably only really applies to me, but for some reason I never like the blur on reduced DOF to affect anything in front of the subject.

Well, as to this photo I should tell you that only the end result (i.e. the print) showed me what it really had come out as - also what DOF is concerned. These thistles grow on the side of a path that leads through some meadows (hence the equally green background), and upon taking it I didn't plan and didn't know it'd come out like this. What appealed to me is the THISTLE effect of the thistles... I find they look really prickly through this shallow DOF (which isn't really shallow as such, only was the meadow so far away that it got really, really, REALLY blurred). You see?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back