Thomas Countz

Thomas Countz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello TPF and all of it's members! As you can tell my name is Thomas Countz, I'm a high school student living in Pittsburgh, Pa, blah blah blah. Let me get straight to it.

I don't know what got me into photography, but something did, so I invested in a camera. After long search for a decent DSLR within my budget, I gave up and bought a Canon AE-1 Program with a 50mm prime lens and 2x telephoto lens for $75.00 on Craigslist.

I love my camera, and after only 1 roll of color film, I knew that my hobby would get expensive very quickly if I had to pay $10.00 every time I wanted to see only 24 exposures (that's almost $0.42 a frame!), so I also invested in developing materials so I can develop my own black and white film. (I like black and white better anyway.)

Right now, I only have a 2 reel stainless steel film can and no chemicals, so I need to purchase those, and I have no black and white film (that I can develop myself....funny story I bought black and white film from Wal*mart, some Kodak "Professional" black and white 400 speed...figures you can't develop it in black and white chemicals...how lame...leave it to Wal*mart to get photography stuff I guess)

So my plan now is to get some black and white developing chemicals (and a changing bag for that matter) and some Kodak Tri-X Pan 400 film (which my friend, a fellow photographer, suggests) Woo!....instead of buying an enlarger, I would like to invest in a film scanner so that I can have a higher ability for post-production work (which I rarely do because I don't know how that well) and so I can post them online or give my friends a CD.

As much as I LOVE the look of film, I still want a DSLR. Call me lazy, a non-photographer, amateur, whatever, I think that using a DSLR would be a much better (cheaper, convenient, practical) solution as a photograph learning tool. I'm an all manual person as it is, I would rarely ever let my camera make my artistic choices for me, just digital gives instant results that I can only wish to have. Plus, black and white film is not cheap, especially when I need to order it, there's shipping and handling and all kind of crazy stuff, film over time gets really expensive.

Congratulations if you've read all this, I dub you a true forum professional, and I'm not done.

Really quick I wanted to point out that all my knowledge in photography comes from experience and books, books, and more books.

Flickr: Flickr: thomas.countz's Photostream

Thanks for reading, I hope I have a great time here on TPF! :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back