Thought on this HDR?

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never tried HDR before and thought I would try it out. Not the greatest subject to use, but they were about to tear down this old house and I stopped to get a few pics and thought it might make a alright HDR. I didn't want to go to overboard as I have seen some, but after looking at it I think I should bring a little more to it. Don't mind the watermarks (I am trying different programs) LEt me know what you think.

HouseHDR.jpg

Last edited:
Ryan
That is surely different than a lot of other HDR images.

Would you mind posting the original? Did you have more than one original?

Yes, I have 3 bracketed. I will resize them a little smaller and post them.

Way too strong. Notice the halo around the entire house where the sky meets the house? Thats a quick indicator that you have gone too far. Try more exposures next time. Even your brightest exposure of the 3 has your subject underexposed/in shadow. You should have done a few more on the overexposed end of the spectrum so-to-speak. or waited until a different part of the day when the light is hitting this side of the house.

This is all just my opinion so take it for what its worth.

Nice first try though.

You didn't shoot a wide enough range of exposures to cover the dynamic range of the scene.

3 bracketed exposures is the minimum to do an HDR and most require about 6. Then once the images are merged in Photomatix, it goes back and forth from tone mapping in photomatics to addressing other image issues in Photoshop. Making a good HDR is very labor intensive.

You should have at least one more that looks like this:

_MG_9481Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I should have researched first! Should I have metered for the sky or the house on my "normal" shot. I think I exposed for the sky and then did -2, +2. I think metering for the house would have worked better.

3 bracketed exposures is the minimum to do an HDR and most require about 6. Then once the images are merged in Photomatix, it goes back and forth from tone mapping in photomatics to addressing other image issues in Photoshop. Making a good HDR is very labor intensive.

Ok, I never thought about more than 3. I will have to try again.

Last edited:
hdrz.jpg

I had a crack at it.. the image quality is a little bad.

Most reactions

Back