Thoughts on "Color Splash"?

Wow thanks for the reposes everyone! I like the idea of adding something along the lines of a coaster under the beer to separate it from the table. This was a photo I snapped with my iPhone when I turned 21 a little while ago up in NJ just for giggles so I never had this in mind. Same thing with the line of shots in the second picture. They were just the only decent ones I had in my phone that would make sense using selective coloring and look somewhat good. I'm going to color the beer can right now.

And KmH, that looks AMAZING! I really like that!!!!!

Thanks again everyone! I'll try it again and repost it to see what you think.

Here is the original with the can also colored:
photo-1.jpg

And then here it is again, but with the beer lightened slightly in the cup so it doesn't look like spoiled beer... :/ (not sure if I lightened it enough though... I used lightroom and just used the edit brush to lighten it slightly.
lighter-1.jpg

Still looks like recycled beer to me.

Selective color is kind of like "New Coke". I lost my taste for it REAL quick.

i think espn does a good job at doing this in video high lights. the problem is that its over played and its an old technique. i thought it was cool a while back but now, its just another photo. i think its more showy than artistic, i mean looks good in video high light reels and advertisements, other than that > next frame.

Not a fan of selective coloring. Like other said it rarely looks good but I think it's a phase pretty much all new photogs go through.

It's nice in some situations, like sentimental pictures of little kids kissing, hung of the walls of some cat lady's livingroom.

This is what selective color is about.......

Last edited by a moderator:
without the entire movie, the effect is just a little lost, don't you think?

Yes, the movie adds drama. The selective color in the screen shot, that you see up above, adds drama to the shot. It's a little girl being lead somewhere by a soldier clearly in a Nazi uniform. The selective color tells you the story of the shot is about the little girl being taken somewhere. So IMHO, it still works very well. :sexywink:

I'm starting to get tired of it. I've done it recently and thought it worked. But I agree that it's been done horribly too many times for people to still like it.

Yes, the movie adds drama. The selective color in the screen shot, that you see up above, adds drama to the shot. It's a little girl being lead somewhere by a soldier clearly in a Nazi uniform. The selective color tells you the story of the shot is about the little girl being taken somewhere. So IMHO, it still works very well. :sexywink:

Not so much drama, but symbolism. The consensus on this, iirc, is that she represents hope to the jewish people. By the end of film you hardly notice it is in black and white, until the girl is present. I think the girl in red is so powerful because you become desensitized by the lack of color, if not the violence of depicted by the film itself, just as many holocaust victims had become desensitized to the brutality which they faced.

The girl in the red coat humanizes the victims while reminds us that the jews as an ethnic group do overcome and prosper.

That show sucks. LOL.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back