Thoughts on D5000

PacManLives

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for my first DLSR. Was wondering if anyone here has the D5000 or has taken some shots with it. Or if anyone else has any recommendations to a first time buyer or user.

Ps
I do not mind used or refurbished cameras too and I am not set on just Nikon cameras as I know the Canons take exceptional shots as well.

Looking for something under 600 bucks

Last edited:
Of course there are people here that have, and have made photos with, a D5000.

Canon doesn't have anything at that level that can touch it. You'd have to consider the T2i to get anything like comparable high ISO performance. Even then the more expensive T2i comes up short on color depth, dynamic range and ISO. But don't take my word for it. Look at some independent testing lab info:

Compare cameras

Check the links in my signature for pictures I've taken since getting my D5000.

If you are coming from the Point and Shoot world, the D5000 is IMO a great first SLR. Its got most of the image taking ability of the more expensive D90 with features that will make the first time user feel at home.

I just sold my D5000 and bought a D700! It was a fantastic camera, if you don't have any old AD or AI lens its a fantastic buy...

Before my D5000 I had 3 P&S cameras. by the time I was done with the 1st two the rear screen was scratched to hell. My last a Canon IS S2 had a flip screen. I kept it closed except when absolutely necessary and the read screen is flawless.

I love that I can keep the screen on the D5000 closed when not in use.

Wow thanks for all the excellent reply's!

KMH thanks for that comparison very helpful!

PerfectlyFlawed I am glad to hear you love your D5000 makes me wanting to buy it even more

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/alan92rttt.htmlAlan92RTTT pictures you took look great! Did you do much post processing on the pics if so what program? Also what car is your avatar? looks like any early - mid 90's Dodge/Mitsubishi hard to tell with size and angle....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/perfectlyflawed.html

Other that resize the only shots that got any post were the aquarium shots get some come contract back and some of the zoo shots to try and bring the big cats out of the shadows. (Photoshop CS2)

92 Dodge Stealth RT Turbo.

Most reactions

Back