Thoughts on the Canon Powershot G1x?

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Searched the forum, didn't find any thread on this yet.

Looks like Canon is upping the Ante for the point and shoot with an impressive list of features, topping the list is integration of the 1.5" CMOS sensor into a P&S body.

The specs read:
  • 14.3Mp 1.5" CMOS Sensor
  • 3.0" Vari-Angle LCD Screen (Articulated Screen)
  • 28mm Wide Lens with 4x Optical Zoom
  • DIGIC 5 Image Processor
  • Hybrid Image Stabilizer
  • Optical Viewfinder
  • 12,800 ISO
  • 1080p Full HD Video
  • High Dynamic Range Scene Mode
  • Manual & Numerous Other Shooting Modes
Also does burst shooting at up to 6FPS

I've also heard the NR at high Iso's outperforms the 60d and 7d.

I've looked at a few sample images and even at iso 12800 the image doesn't look terrible.

Available at pre-order for $799.00, what are your thoughts on the price point? Would you ever purchase this camera as a backup to a DSLR body?

I wouldn't but I don't think that it's marketed towards me. If I'm going to get a p&s for myself it will be the s100 or whatever it is now because it's small enough for my pocket. For $800 I'll buy another dslr body for a back up. For someone that doesn't want a dslr though it would be tempting, but that's a little high in price. Maybe for $650 or so.

A sensor larger than m4/3 on a compact. Pretty impressive. I just don't like the look of it. It's kind of ugly. And yeah... style matters to me in compact cameras. They are lifestyle devices, I kinda want them to look good.

A sensor larger than m4/3 on a compact. Pretty impressive.

I thought so too ..

My dad doesn't want a DSLR because he thinks they are too big. This is the camera I think he's been waiting for. Pretty much a DSLR in a P&S body.

A sensor larger than m4/3 on a compact. Pretty impressive. I just don't like the look of it. It's kind of ugly. And yeah... style matters to me in compact cameras. They are lifestyle devices, I kinda want them to look good.

Hopefully especially for you Nick, they will produce one in pink metallic! ;)

I wouldn't touch it for this price. I use my G11 quite a bit and IQ is really very good up to ISO 400 - hard to distinguish from T2i images except at high magnification - and not bad even at 800. This camera would be another step up in IQ, but would still have the other limitations of a bridge camera (fixed lens, poor viewfinder, tough manual focus), and at the price of a mid-level SLR. No thanks!

Hopefully especially for you Nick, they will produce one in pink metallic! ;)

E-PM1_pink__rightside_EZ-M1442IIR-XL-420-90.jpg

Do you understand how badly I want this?!

You guys, the Canon Powershot G1x is literally the same thing as the Canon 1Dx. Do you see how similarly they are named?

I'd almost be interested at that price if it had an EF mount for interchangeable lenses. With a sensor that large, I don't understand why they didnt!

I'd almost be interested at that price if it had an EF mount for interchangeable lenses. With a sensor that large, I don't understand why they didnt!

This actually makes far more sense. Especially for the price point.

Look at the new Fuji before you dump that much cash into a new P&S.

You guys, the Canon Powershot G1x is literally the same thing as the Canon 1Dx. Do you see how similarly they are named?

No man! The G1x is clearly the Panasonic GX1!

Haha! My dad told me the reason for the X was because companies are superstitious (or at least believe their customers to be superstitious) thus instead of naming it G13, they named it the G1x

Most reactions

Back