Three Sad Windows

I prefer the original.
I like the "U" shape framing the edge.

I agree with Derrel and Diddy and Bitter, the first one seems to have the best feel, although, the closer crops still work well...just a little different.

I've thought about it some more. The first shot has three sides with "context". The foundation, and then two sides of the house, showing overgrown brush and limbs,limbs,limbs. The context is one of natural, overgrown, "back to nature", or nature reclaiming...the small sapling in front of the window is a nice echoing element of the "nature reclaiming" theme, especially when seeing with the original framing and the limbs at the side. The foundation of the house is really helpful as well...the three sides give the facade some very slight "context", as it were. That's why I like the original framing.

#3 for me! If you can go back, do it and move the twigs.
As interesting as I think the windows are, the twigs are an integral part of my vision for this photo. I might've still taken the photo had the twigs not been there (I like Charlie's edit!), but I don't think I would've been intrigued by the scene as much.

I Kind of like shots of windows and doors out of context. For example check this guys artwork and photos: Flickr: evoldaily's Photostream
Thanks for the link, that guy does have some cool window images.

Thanks all for the comments. I tend to agree with most of Derrel's analysis – I would've loved to find something to frame the image from the top, much like the foundation did below.

I think if you had something on the top it'd just be like kind of bland. Having the top extend out of the frame may break some compositional rules, but in this case I feel like it works well, likely because the frame is such a modest part of the overall image. I also think the horizontal slats help imply a frame that isn't there.

First one limits my imagination by showing the boundaries...second and third are not much different which i like; the feeling of abandoned is highly accentuated and complemented by the twig; if the twig was not there the image would have lost its appeal. Fill frame window (edited version) is not my choice this time

Most reactions

New Topics

Back