What's new

Tide product shot

shinycard255

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
166
Reaction score
64
Location
IL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yet another product shot... these kinda shots are very appealing to me for some reason. C&C please

Original:
tidex.jpg


After runnah's "brighten up the label" suggestion:
tide2.jpg
 
Last edited:
dbvirago, I wish I hadn't torn down the set and took set-up shots... oh well. Let me find one of the overhead lighting diagram websites and put one together real quick for you. I was using 4 strobes with grids and a few mirrors to help bring light back in to the front of the product
 
OK, so as dbvirago requested, here's my lighting set-up:
lightingdiagram13597495.png


I'm using 4 strobes with grids in them, 3 of them being fired through scrims. The 2 on either side of the back of the scrims both have 10˚, the one in the front left scrim was 30˚, and the one casting light on the yellow background was also 30˚ on a C-stand that was brought in from the back of the set. So with this set-up, here is the shot out of camera:
tidegoby1.jpg



It looks good, but I wanted the highlights along the edges of the bottle to go almost all the way to the table, so I put in 2 mirrors on either end to help achieve that. I then noticed that the front bottom of the bottle was kinda bland looking so I put a piece of reflective paper in front of the bottle flat on the table. I then hand held another mirror in my right hand out of camera frame to help bring in a little more light on the label and to cast a few more highlights. Here is the shot out of camera:
tidegoby2.jpg


As you can tell, the mirrors and shiny card really helped out quite a bit with what I really wanted to achieve with this shot.

So once I got the shot the way I liked it, I took all the mirrors and shiny cards out from the set and took a shot of the set the way it is so I can take the mirrors out of the shot in post and not have to fake in any yellow paper. A little bit of levels, curves, dodging & burning, and minor retouching got me to this:
tidex.jpg


HTH! Hit me up with any other questions you may have! I find these BTS explanations can be very helpful to a lot of people. I know I learn quite a bit from them, so I hope others do as well.
 
I feel like the label could be brighter. The whites of the labels aren't true white either.
 
I feel like the label could be brighter. The whites of the labels aren't true white either.

Since I tore the shot down already, I had to tweak with it in PS. Here's the outcome after a levels and curves adjustment on the label:
tide2.jpg

I don't want to push it any further since the red and yellow on the label are starting to get blown out now. Thanks, runnah, for the comment!
 
Much better, the brand is the most important part.
 
Very nice ....you are improving!!

Thanks! Practice is the only way to get better in this profession

Much better, the brand is the most important part.

Yes, yes it is. I'll keep that in mind as I go forward with my career. Thanks again!
 
Great attention to detail with the mirrors.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom