Tiger C&C

You'd be surprised how far flash can reach sometimes - and you are realy only looking for it to give the shot a light lifting rather than being the dominant light source for the image. That framing with a 70-200mm even at 200mm should be easily within the flashes range to give some fill to the shot (though a more powerfull flash would be ideal).

Flash is still something that I have no idea how to use. I practice constantly with it but only in close portrait-like settings. When I go back next time I'll give it a go and see what happens. The sun was killing me in this shot. A ton of my images were garbage because of blown highlights. So next time I go you think I can throw the SB600 on the hotshoe and be able to fill in what I need? I didn't think even at full power I would be able to reach 30+ feet on a bright day like this and see any impact.

Generally speaking when in aperture or shutter priorty mode the flash is on fill flash mode (effectivly its how it meters the scene) and even in manual mode (on the camera) this is the same if the flash is on auto.

Stick with auto flash mode when in this kind of lighting and check the histograms on the shots - that way you can balance things out with a little exposure or flash exposure compensation as needed and then reshoot. Just do be carefull with the flash because it might have to put out its full power sometimes - or near to it - if it does that means you're going to have to time every shot well - otherwise in a quick burst the flash will miss out shots as it recharges.

Most reactions

Back