Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI folks,

Thought I'd share the last few images taken by my daughter, TinyTogger (Ruby), who is at present 7 years old. See how she is coming on...

1. Wombwell Thespians Playhouse. Taken when she was just 7. She entered this in a recent camera club competition and it scored 15 I think. Not bad. She did the conversion and straightening herself:

Wombwell Stone by Tiny Togger, on Flickr

2. Heckington Railway Stock Yard. This was taken when she was 6. It is a model in a museum on the train station at Heckington, Lincs. This was also entered in the competition, and only scored 9. The judge didn't understand the depth of field, even after it was explained to him how it was like that. But I love this picture - maybe a case of dad-eyes, but I like the conversion, and the focus:

Heckington Railway Stock Yard by Tiny Togger, on Flickr

3. Robin. This was taken on Friday. Ruby's 400D had a flat battery so she borrowed my 1d. She caught this robin on a nearby tree while we were eating lunch...I think it's superb!

29-3-2013-Robin-Redbreast-1400-px by Tiny Togger, on Flickr

4. Strawberry Splash. Ruby needed a RED picture. We came up with this. Went to the studio, and I showed her the lights, the snoot, the grids, etc. She set them up with a litle guidance, and took this:

30-3-2013-Strawberry-Splash-1400 by Tiny Togger, on Flickr

Hope you like them, and see that she has potential. It's lovely to see her coming on in a hobby that I also love. :)

Huh...pretty good!!!! The robin is indeed superb. I liked the train trucks shot too...made me think of the Thomas The Tank Engine stories my son loved so much!

Wow, that girl's already got quite the skill set. At 7, I was taking centered, tilted, and often not-quite-focused pictures of my family and my cats.

She's going to have a spectacular portfolio before she's even a teenager. I hope that she continues to love it as much as she apparently does now. I'd be really pleased to have taken ANY of those photos--at MY age, not hers!

One question: How does the competition scoring work? What's the highest possible score, and what do are the "average" scores for photos in the competition?

The robin is excellent!

One should look at these in here flickr account on black to be fully appreciated.

One day your daughter will look back on these days with her dad with fond memories.
I was in your daughters shoes many years ago when my dad was teaching me photography.
45 years later they're memories I wouldn't trade for anything.

One should look at these in here flickr account on black to be fully appreciated.

Yep, these are pretty good for that age or any age for that matter.

Very nice work but at age 7 it makes it even more special......I am sure you two have a special bond..... They grow quick enjoy every moment!

She is growing so much. I know. It is so nice to do things with her. She is bright, and learns so quickly - But as with anything she does, she could be brilliant if she put more into it. But she is just 7. :)

Wow, that girl's already got quite the skill set. At 7, I was taking centered, tilted, and often not-quite-focused pictures of my family and my cats.

She's going to have a spectacular portfolio before she's even a teenager. I hope that she continues to love it as much as she apparently does now. I'd be really pleased to have taken ANY of those photos--at MY age, not hers!

One question: How does the competition scoring work? What's the highest possible score, and what do are the "average" scores for photos in the competition?

The scores go from 1 to 20 (although in practice, very few go below 11 or 12). Usually the judge will have one image as a 20, a couple of 18-19 scores, and then the rest below that. But you are always at risk of having a judge with pre-conceived ideas about what makes a picture for the given topic. And also a judge who likes/hates photoshop, or HDR, or flowers, or cats, or whatever.
We used to have all the members on the night score out of 20 and give averages at the end of the night. This was better in some ways and meant that one person couldn't put down an image just because he disliked the subject (or the author!). But it was not so good with members without experience as their results were often "rogue". No really good way has been used as yet. We're working on it. :)

Excellent, I particularly like the robin.

Thanks you.

The robin is excellent!

Thank you.

Yes, I find the white BG here to be not so good. On other forums I make the skin all black/dark. Can't do it here, I don't think...

One day your daughter will look back on these days with her dad with fond memories.
I was in your daughters shoes many years ago when my dad was teaching me photography.
45 years later they're memories I wouldn't trade for anything.

I hope so. The wife has a friend who walked a lot with her dad, and they both took photos. He died a few years back...her memories of those walks are special. I hope I have that with Ruby (not that I don't have MANY special times with my kids, of course. :) )

Yep, these are pretty good for that age or any age for that matter.

Thank you. I am very proud of her. :)

I was puzzled until I remembered that robins are a completely different bird in the UK!

Well done all around. These could all stand with much of the better work we see here in TPF.

I was puzzled until I remembered that robins are a completely different bird in the UK!

Well done all around. These could all stand with much of the better work we see here in TPF.

Yes, the robins here are little ones, with red breasts. :) Often seen on Christmas cards. :)

Thank you. :)

Seems like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Very good images, for any age. As for the memories, you can never have too many of them, especially the good ones. However, it's interesting that what makes something memorable for your daughter may be something completely insignificant to you... until much later. I picked up one daughter late after work, and gave her a granola bar to ease the hunger pains until we got home, and she told me that the granola bar always brings her back to when we went cross-country skiing one winter day (probably about ten years ago), and we stopped on the side of a lake and ate granola bars while we rested... I paid it no mind at the time - but it stuck in hers.

Seems like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Very good images, for any age. As for the memories, you can never have too many of them, especially the good ones. However, it's interesting that what makes something memorable for your daughter may be something completely insignificant to you... until much later. I picked up one daughter late after work, and gave her a granola bar to ease the hunger pains until we got home, and she told me that the granola bar always brings her back to when we went cross-country skiing one winter day (probably about ten years ago), and we stopped on the side of a lake and ate granola bars while we rested... I paid it no mind at the time - but it stuck in hers.

Thank you. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back