Tips for Portrait shots?

More and better quality light, a reflector, a better background, a smile.

It looks more like a mug shot than a portrait.

More light in the eye socket area (raccoon eyes). Rule of thirds. Have the subject lower their chin a bit to minimize the nostrils.
Spot meter the facial mask highlights to get a better exposure.
Avoid the 'football player' shoulders-square-to-the-camera pose by having the subject's shoulders at more of an angle to the camera.

A quick and dirty edit - crop (subjects left eye on RoT power point), exposure adjustment, quick clone:

8479Edit931362_459a1c6586_b.jpg

I've noticed a lot of people on the forum not digging centered photos or the "football player" look....
Personally I'm really not that opposed to occasionally centering photos, especially if it's more of a "headshot" type portrait, such as this one.
And the "football player" look? If it's a portrait of a guy... what's wrong with him looking broad shouldered?
The lighting is even, which is nice, but if you want something more dramatic you could look into lighting one side of the face more than the other.
The background is nice and simple, love the bokeh. There's probably a little too much headroom, so a slightly closer crop would fill the frame better.
The whole photo has a good "outdoorsy" feel with the plaid and the hat.
One thing that could make this photo a lot stronger would be catchlights in the eyes. If you use a reflector, a flash, or a strobe, those catchlights will add a lot of life to your portraits.
Those are my two cents. Or 50 cents. Or whatever it's worth. I think you're off to a great start though!
-Sam
www.samhaddixphotography.com

Camera feels a little low to me, for classic portraits. You're looking slightly up his nose, which isn't entirely flattering, but it DOES create a slight "looming" feeling, which is certainly an effect. Make him look bigger and more masculine, perhaps, which might be desireable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back