Tips for shooting in a church?

hdukphotographs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hduk-photographs.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning a trip to an old Chapel soon and was hoping to get some good shots there.My problem is whenever ive taken photos inside churches before they never turn out right.They are either to dark or i completely blow out the windows.I would like to get it right this time, any tips to help me?

Oh and would it help taking any sort of filters with me.?

Filters probably not. Churches are hard because most often they are dimly lit inside and the windows are really bright giving dynamic range way outside of the range of film. In the old days this could be fixed by waiting till just before sunset where the windows will be toned down a bit, or by raising the inside of the church a bit brighter using flashes. Nowadays you also have the option of combining multiple shots in a process called HDR. Just search this forum for HDR and you'll find many threads on how to do this.

Just for the halibut, try metering off the window and then backing off about 3 stops (-3 exp comp). The exact number depends on just how bright the window really is of course but that would be a good start.

Depends what type of photos you are taking but if the subjects are still life or close to it I would suggest doing some bracketing which would allow you some room for creative post production work later on. (If your camera has that option) This would require that you use a tripod and most likely a remote or timer (preferably remote)

Hmmm Will have to look this HDR up. It looks like it might be some hybrid of the bracketing function?

I used pews and columns as perfect on-location tripods and use a slow shutterspeed. No matter how dim the lighting is in the church, I have not got an underexposed, dark church shot. Flash use is not acceptable in many churches by the way and it is of limited use anyway because of some of the extreme distances involved.

skieur

Depends what type of photos you are taking but if the subjects are still life or close to it I would suggest doing some bracketing which would allow you some room for creative post production work later on. (If your camera has that option) This would require that you use a tripod and most likely a remote or timer (preferably remote)

Hmmm Will have to look this HDR up. It looks like it might be some hybrid of the bracketing function?
You take multiple exposures then you use a special program to give it high dynamic range. Photoshop can do it ok but photomatix is the best.

Here is a page of examples.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/s...hlight=GTO+HDR

Most reactions

Back