D50 viewfinder problem

britonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.btonkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D50 and I have recently noticed very slight black dots in the viewfinder. At first I thought this was dirt on the lens so I gave it a clean (carefully) and they were still there.

At this point I tried cleaning the camera end of the lens, the reflex mirror and the actual eyepiece glass but to no avail.

If I change the lens they are still there so it’s something to do with the actual camera. Any ideas? I don’t think it’s effecting the photos just the viewfinder but it’s just a little bit annoying.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

If your sensor is clean and your pictures are OK, there is nothing to worry about. The dust ( more than likely ) in your viewfinder is something that happens to virtually all cameras. There is really nothing that you can do about it other than having it cleaned professionally.

If you have soem compressed air or a small blower for th sensor, use it on the bottom of the pentaprism. It is located above the mirror and looks like a frost white plastic screen (focusing screen really). That is where your dust most likely is unless your d50 has some sealing issues in the viewfinder and dust is INSIDE the pentaprism.

Ah yes forgot to mention I did try cleaning the bottom of the pentaprism with a lint free cloth too - but it's difficult to get at without touching the mirror and I don't want to make things worse.

I would hope the dirt isn't on the inside as it's quite new (just less than a year old) and I do take very good care of it.

Is using those compressed air canisters safe then? I do have a little blower but it's rubbish to be fair I could generate more power by blowing on it myself.

you have to cheack the label to see if it is a liquid based solvent(you don't want it to be). A wood shop or a dentist office or hair salon or auto body shop all have compressed air tanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back