Tips on shooting artwork???

What's the size of the artwork, and are you shooting digital or film?

The really professional way is to get a copy stand, but that's expensive. I use a music stand, the kind you find in most colleges (manhasset). I set up 2 shop lights, one on each side just out of view of the camera and blanket the artwork in as even a light as I can, put the camera on a tripod, use mirror lockup, and shoot at f/8, usually with a 50mm lens or longer. If you are shooting digital, do a custom white balance before hand by setting a piece of white matteboard on the stand. If you are shooting film, you'll need a color compensating filter, or tungsten balanced film to compensate.

If you have an overcast day, you could take your setup outside and use natural light.

Dirt, baby! Where ya been? Happy New Year! :D

So - how large is the artwork in question? My first answer is to use a copystand and shoot with tungsten slide film. You can either scan the slides yourself and print them out or have prints made from the slides.

BUT - all that is said not knowing what kind of artwork you're talking about. ;)

Whats up terri? missed you. I have been busy with my family and havent really done much lately. The art is large so the copystand is no go, I am shooting digital (10d) and maybe a roll or two of slide per request. my main question is on the lighting setup but I figured it out now. thanks guys.

Glad you figured it out! Looks like Matt and I were busy repeating each other up there. :lol:

Stop being busy with family & stuff, and get back here with some more IR shots! ;)

I will Promise you that I will get you some soon. my youngest daughter is just turning 1 and she is becoming a bit more easy. so I am getting around a bit more. but you got it Terri.

Most reactions

Back