What's new

Tlhe season of hard water has started...

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
6,734
Reaction score
3,221
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And for some, that means getting out there and waiting patiently for a nibble.

With the deep freeze we all experienced recently, the ice is nice and thick, so the fishing shacks are out in the various bays and lakes. I took a series of images (wide, close up, etc.) and this minimalist version appealed to me. What do you think?

$Ice Fishing_v2_8332_small.webp
(you'll need to click on it to get it to pop a little - otherwise you might be wiping imaginary dirt off your monitor ;))
 
Hey, a new shanty town has sprung up over night
 
I think it would look cool blown up really large, as long as there were still details in the structures.

The concept has great narrative potential. I'd like to see closer shots of the structures, documentary style portraits, details (like bait and gear), and maybe a few candids.

But yeah, the minimalism works for me.
 
Hey, a new shanty town has sprung up over night

Yeah, it certainly looks like that. However, that's just the start. There are at least thirty more shacks waiting to go onto the ice. Some bays have as many as several hundred of these - have to wonder if there are really that many fish?

I think it would look cool blown up really large, as long as there were still details in the structures.

The concept has great narrative potential. I'd like to see closer shots of the structures, documentary style portraits, details (like bait and gear), and maybe a few candids.

But yeah, the minimalism works for me.

Thanks, Jenko. There is a ridiculous amount of detail in the full-rez image. I had exactly that thought (printing big) when I was looking at this shot. I'm now experimenting with various ways of post-processing to see how much I can get out without losing the "feel" for the image. As for a series... that's actually a very good idea. I'll keep that in mind as the winter progresses, to see if the opportunity to be a little bit closer presents itself.

I think it's extremely good.

Thank you , Andrew. The original scene definitely caught my attention, which is why I photographed it, but I am never sure if my esthetic sense is shared by others - hence the post.
 
Nice shot. Great detail when you blow it up. I like the different colors on the shacks. Maybe you could post some close-ups of them. I tried this once, but my wife found me anyway.
 
I like the image a lot, but... don't you have grocery stores in your area????

Sure we do - but some people like their fish fresh. Very fresh.

Nice shot. Great detail when you blow it up. I like the different colors on the shacks. Maybe you could post some close-ups of them. I tried this once, but my wife found me anyway.

That reminds me. My father-in-law used to have a hut on Lake Simcoe. It was about 18 feet long, 8 ft. wide, fully insulated, had a satellite dish, wood stove, three sofas, and three telescoping steel tubes about 18 inches wide which would go down to the ice and keep the wind from blowing in while we fished through the ice. I think he had a generator in the back section of the "hut" powering dish, the receiver and the LCD screen (42" if I recall). There was also a bar and grill for cooking. Somehow, the "fishing" was kinda hard to focus on... To remind ourselves where we had to go at the end of the day, he rigged up his truck to flash the lights at us from the parking area near the lake - then we knew which way to point ourselves. And yes, there was always a designated driver (winner of the short straw).

As for close-ups, I got one - see below.

$Ice Huts Closeup_8334.webp

Of course, you wouldn't know from the pictures posted that you are, in fact, close to civilization. The image below was taken a day earlier, when it was both cold and clear.

$Ice Huts_8292.webp

You can see Mount Royal in the background, with the downtown visible on the right, the St-Joseph Oratory in the middle, and the Université de Montréal campus on the left side of the mountain.
 
I hear they're like man caves. Great for drinking! A couple of shots and who cares about fishing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom