To be, or not to be: Wide Angle

Ballyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanymajka.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm somewhat new to photography...scratch that...I am new to this part of photography...I do not fully understand the lens situations, but I am hearing that wide angle lenses on one camera, might not be wide angle on another....

I have a Canon Rebel XTi....I just purchased the 28-135mm wide angle...(or is this not wide angle?)

But I am also purchasing the Canon 7D next week...I know my lenses need to stay in the EF family, but I really need a wide angle...can someone help me out in this dept and help me understand what I am clearly missing?

thanks guys!

I'm not sure about the 7D, but I think the XTi has a crop factor of 1.6. That means that while the lens is 28-135, your photos will appear to be shot with a 45-218. If you don't want this then you need a full frame camera, which has a 1:1 crop factor.

I don't know if the 7D is a full frame, some one who shoots with Canon can give you a better response.

28mm x 1.6 = 44.8 35mm equivalent angle of view, so 28mm is not really "wide-angle" on your Rebel XTi. TO get into wide-angle, one needs a 35mm equivalent of at least 28mm, so that means on a crop-body d-slr like your Rebel, one needs an 18 or 17mm "bottom end", as on say an 18-55mm kit zoom lens, in order to get wide-angle views.

Terms like 'wide angle' get tossed around. That was used on that lens, back when it was designed for 35mm film cameras....and even then, I wouldn't consider it all that wide.

You need to go by the numbers, as Derrel has kindly shown.

So for a 'typical wide angle view', on your camera, you'd want a lens that zooms down to 17mm or 18mm.

This is true of all cameras that have a similar sized sensor to what you have. That includes all the Digital Canon Rebels models, the two digit models (40D, 50D etc.) and the 7D. The 5D has a larger sensor (same size as 35mm film) so it gives you a wider view. The Canon 1Ds is also 'full frame' and the 1D is in between.

A lens said to be wide angle is not always wide angle. Just as a lens said to be macro is not always true macro.

Anything under 50mm is wide and anything over 50mm is telephoto. So that would technically make the 28-135 somewhat wide and somewhat telephoto.

Look for what some refer to as the ultra wide.
I have a Canon 10-22 which I love. Works great on my XSI and on my 7D. With the x1.6 crop factor, it makes the lens an effective 16-35, which is wide.
You have other options such as a Sigma 10-20
Or go a little less wide with a Canon 17-55mm, 16-35mm..

i always thought 35mm on ff was "what you see", so it turns out 50mm is exactly what you see?

Ballyn

You really need a wide angle...

What are you photogrpahing?

What really strikes me about your post is that you just spent a tidy sum on the 7D, when all you may need is a wide angle lens.

i always thought 35mm on ff was "what you see", so it turns out 50mm is exactly what you see?
It's not exact, but yes 50mm, either actual on a FF body or equivelent on a crop body is known as 'Normal' and the same as what your eye sees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back