To buy or not to buy...

mad_malteaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just spotted a Canon EOS 700 with 35-80mm zoom lens at a very very cheap price (less than a pack of batteries in fact). Looks like it's in good nick, worth the bother?

Edit: I forgot to say I know next to nothing about this camera except that it was discontinued. Does anyone have this camera and if so, what do they think of it?

EOS 700 introduced 1990/discontinued 1991

Features a unique reversible control dial which switches the camera from Program Image Control modes (for beginners), to shutter-priority mode (for more advanced photographers).The EOS 700 was available with an EF 35-80mm f4-5.6 Power Zoom lens * two buttons on top of the lens operate a motorized zoom. The lens was only sold with the camera. Quartz Date version available. Focus, Spring 1990, page 15

From what I have heard, the EOS 700, 850, 750 etc. were not very popular. I don't know why...I think they were a step down from the 650, 620, 630 etc.

It's probably a good camera but if you can find a newer camera (EOS Rebel or Elan) you will probably get better/newer technology.

I have an EOS 650, the very first EOS camera. It's OK; built like a tank but the command dial is finicky and the shutter bumpers are turning into goo...which is a notorious problem for older EOS cameras. That would be my main concern when buying an old EOS camera. You could get it fixed, but there goes your price savings.

If it's really that good of a price and it works...might be worth it...but don't expect too much.

Thanks for the sensible advice. I was taken in mostly by the price since I didn't really know much about the camera. I'll keep an eye out and see what else comes up!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back