To Facebook or Not to Facebook, That is the Question.

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been a long term user of Facebook and a couple of months ago I permanently deleted my account. Why? I had enough of people's BS.

No one seemed to care that I left or even notice for that matter. But friends & family were starting to wonder because they stopped seeing my photos. A lot were thinking I gave up photography because they didn't see my pictures even though I told them I post them other places besides Facebook, they don't go to those sites. If it isn't on Facebook, they don't see it. Haha.

So I've been thinking about creating a new account and making a page for my photography and only using that and not using the personal account, I'd make it hidden and private so no one can search for me and add me as their friend. But that would at least allow me to share my photography and what not with friends & family and whoever else likes the page since it would be completely public.

I'll be honest, I don't like Facebook. But it can be useful for some things.

Its been kind of nice lately being free of Facebook but now that my account has been officially deleted, I can start fresh and only using the page for photography and that's it.

I don't know..good idea? bad idea?

i keep one limited to just family and close friends about twenty members and post photos on there occasionally. I dont do the three hundred or a thousand friend sort of thing in fact i even wont put some of my cousins on it.

i keep one limited to just family and close friends about twenty members and post photos on there occasionally. I dont do the three hundred or a thousand friend sort of thing in fact i even wont put some of my cousins on it.

Heh, I've deleted quite of few family members that I don't know and never talked to ever and within a day, they send a friend request. Its really scary.

Heh, I've deleted quite of few family members that I don't know and never talked to ever and within a day, they send a friend request. Its really scary.
yeah i dont even talk on my facebook just add the occasional photo, once in a while use messenger to get ahold of a sibling if i dont feel like picking up the phone and am already on. Since it is separated family non family pics they want to browse they can browse they want a pic of the neice or nephew they see they can ask i can send it to them or they can copy it.

oh and i block notifications because i really dont care if my cousin just had her hair done again.

I really wish you can create a Facebook page without making personal account.

I'm not sure how, but I ended up with over 100 "friends" over time. Most of these people are pleasant and nice but I only know most of them very superficially, some might be back from school days etc.

Anyway maybe it's the older grumpier me, but I "unfollow" most of them. This means I don't see there day to day stuff. This has nothing to do with them personally, but I didn't care what they did before Facebook, I don't care now and often I'd accept a request to be polite but unfollow straight away.

My point, apart from me coming across as an oddball, is that when it comes to modern tech, be it social media and mobile phones, emails etc, the parameters are there to set them up in a way that gives you control over how they work for you.

Facebook has many great groups and can be a great source for local info etc, set it up for your own benefit if you like some of its uses

So I've been thinking about creating a new account and making a page for my photography and only using that and not using the personal account, I'd make it hidden and private so no one can search for me and add me as their friend. But that would at least allow me to share my photography and what not with friends & family and whoever else likes the page since it would be completely public.

You have a choice: hidden and private OR completely public.

What do you want - to share photos with just a few people, or to allow anyone to see your photos but limit the social aspect of FB? You have to decide that before you do anything. And as jaomul said, regardless of the type of page you have, you can set the parameters. You don't have to accept friend requests, or if you do, you can unfollow them so you don't see their posts. Public pages work differently, anyway. People follow you by "liking" the page. You can set the rules on who is allowed to post on your public page and what you see in your newsfeed.

You use Facebook, not the other way around.

What do you want - to share photos with just a few people, or to allow anyone to see your photos but limit the social aspect of FB? You have to decide that before you do anything. And as jaomul said, regardless of the type of page you have, you can set the parameters. You don't have to accept friend requests, or if you do, you can unfollow them so you don't see their posts. Public pages work differently, anyway. People follow you by "liking" the page. You can set the rules on who is allowed to post on your public page and what you see in your newsfeed.

I'd rather not use the personal account, just a public page for my photography.

I'd rather not use the personal account, just a public page for my photography.

Pages Basics | Facebook Help Center | Facebook

I know about pages, I had a few of them before.

dont delete people, just unfollow them from your feed.

Then, put them in a group and set a rule that the group doesnt see your posts.

dont delete people, just unfollow them from your feed.

Then, put them in a group and set a rule that the group doesnt see your posts.

Doesn't matter now anyways, I don't even have Facebook. Haha.

As mentioned, just UNFOLLOW the ppl that create BS.
Then you won't see it anymore unless you go to their page.
I use facebook, but unfollow ppl that post 5 billion times per day and use FB apps that spam everyone.

Facebook is useful as a photographer.
It's "the" social media site to distribute advertising for free to a specific demographic.

Most reactions

Back