To sharpen or not to sharpen

I do not sharpen every image. It's a case-by-case basis.

I have been liking the new "camera shake" sharpen in PS CC. It's definitely not for every image, and it needs slider tweaking, but for some shots it works perfectly.

Other than that, I don't have much to add that has not already been said.

I hate 1s and 0s. 2s, 7s, and 378972s are the only numbers I really like.

My guess is that a very good and useful essay would come out of accumulating all those comments and normalizing them.
Are the differences of opinion due to different definitions? Are there different concepts that need to be explained?
I am not knowledgeable enough to do the integration but, if the three active commenters could agree to a cease fire, perhaps a enlightening collaborative post could be achieved.

I would be happy to be one of the readers and indicate where areas aren't dumbed down enough.

Lew

∞

I only sharpen when my pencil no longer has enough lead exposed to write.
After reading this thread though, im not so sure it was ever sharpening to begin with.
maybe its really just adjusting the curves of the end of the pencil until I get the desired result.
oh wait...that is sharpening.

All this math is giving me a headache...
look guys, all you really need to know is which slider to adjust, and boom, instant pro photo.

To be honest, I have very little to say on the subject of sharpening as such. There's a lot of wrong in play both in this thread and in the popular ideas about sharpening, but as I am sure everyone knows, there's a huge gap between recognizing that there are problems, and knowing what the solution is.

To be honest, I have very little to say on the subject of sharpening as such. There's a lot of wrong in play both in this thread and in the popular ideas about sharpening, but as I am sure everyone knows, there's a huge gap between recognizing that there are problems, and knowing what the solution is.

$Gavjenks and Apaflo-arguing.jpg

My vote is to sharpen images on an as-needed basis. There are more sharpening tools available today than ever before.

I for one would have been much more adamant on the issue of DVRing the real housewives.

I for one would have been much more adamant on the issue of DVRing the real housewives.

I suspected as much. ;-)

It's great to see you back on TPF after an absence, Gavjenks. I hope you have been well. And that none of the pipes froze at your during this extreme super-cold streak.

I'm going to get some coffee. Call me after someone shoots this thread in the head.

Most reactions

Back