Toddler

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by thelittlewhimsy, May 16, 2012.

1. thelittlewhimsy

thelittlewhimsy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here are a few pics of my little one I shot a few weeks ago with the 5D I just upgraded to. Any feedback on how to improve is always welcome, good, bad and ugly :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Run around in front and get his face.

Lay off on the vignette slider.

Have a reason for clipping his head and his heel.

3. jaypix

jaypix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 would work better with the boy further up and to the right; that would hide the cars in the background and show more of the road he is following ....

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Good points mentioned by Lew, all of which I agree with it. In addition, I would suggest either going with a traditional black & white monochrome or colour, but this rather insipid sepia-esque tone is not what I think of as appropriate for children's images. I think #1 could stand to have a bit cropped off of the bottom and the RH side; I like the view of him walking away and the composition with the path is perfect. This is one (of VERY few) occasions when placing the subject in front of the leading line's vanishing point works well. I think the image would have been even stronger if you'd let him take one more step and be in the puddle.

This one does nothing for me; cropped arm and head, rammed tight against the RH edge... the garbage truck in the background adds a certain touch as well. Remember that the background is just as important as the foreground, and waiting 30 seconds for that truck to move would have made all the difference.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

5. LuckySe7en

LuckySe7en TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    pay attention to background. A dump-truck shouldn't be the background to a child's pictuere. These look to be edited snapshots which don't always go together. If it's a snapshot, leave it a snapshot. When you get to editing pictures that shouldn't be edited, it makes you look like a bad photographer. Oh and the vignette is super harsh.

6. AMOMENT

AMOMENT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love one! I really feel like you captured the mood and the view from his point. Even though you do not see his expression, the composition and feel of the photo has so mch depth to me. JMO

7. AMOMENT

AMOMENT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I actually like the sepia tone...I think it gives it a little edge and ages the photo nicely without it looking washed out. I also think I would have preferred what you did over black and white. This just goes to show that some things are a matter of taste. I do feel as these pics tell a story....number 2 feels as if you were the parent, shadowing them. Very cool.

8. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I actually liked the dump truck! Just what little boys like to do...look at dump trucks :)

• Like Like x 1