Tokina Lenses

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for pros and cons about Tokina lenses for my Nikon D90. Any help either way would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

I would not try for a full assessment of the company, but rather I would stick to specific lenses on offer. Some 3rd party lenses are rubbish; others are good bargins; others are as good as the top ranges models on offer from your parent camera company.
Take it lens by lens :)

Well, I have the Nikkor 28-80 and am getting the Nikkor 70-300. Im looking for something longer than that. Not necessarily starts at 300, but something that will range longer than 300mm. Any lenses offered that are half decent? I know Sigma and Tamron are good brands, but Ive also heard of some Tokina lenses that are good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

FredMiranda.com or PBase.com all have sufficiently LARGE databases of lenses and user reviews on them. I am sure you can find something there that suits what you are looking for.

well for longer lenses sigma do make the superzooms - 50-500mm 150-500mm which are good chioces - especaily for Nikon as you dont have a cheaper priced superzoom (though from what I hear the 200-400mm that you do have is a fantastic lens).

I think for the longer primes of sigma a lot of people bypass them in favour of saving longer for the branded makes (either nikon or canon) but from examples of shots taken they appear to be good lenses. Nots as good (build wise) as a Nikkor or Canon L and lacking in weather sealing, but decent performers.

if the superzooms interest you there are some examples of 100% crops comparing the sigma line and the canon 100-400mm so you can get a good idea of quality:
Juza Nature Photography

its important to note that all the super zooms do suffer from poor copies (this is true for sigma and canon makes) since they are complex lenses to construct and its easy to get them come out softer than they should be. Check them in store if you can and make sure you hang onto your recipt ;) Recalibration tends to fix the problem most of the time and its fixable under warrenty (ie you don't pay )

Will the D90 matrix meter Manual Focus glass like the D200/300? If so, the Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 AI-S can still be had for a reasonable price and it's considered by many to be one of the sharpest 400's ever made.

I will take this into consideration, I dobt Ill be getting it anytime soon anyway. Id still like to know how the Tokina 80-400mm is as an overall superzoom. Thanks in advance.

Mark

I've personally used the 80-400, it's very sharp all the way through. If you can tolerate the lack of VR as compared to the nikon equivalent, then you're set. The only annoyance I had with the lens was in the focusing ring. It's an exterior ring, right where your hand is, so you feel it turning as you hold the lens. *shrug* Was only a minor annoyance. Great lens, worth every penny.

Most reactions

Back