tokina

Greg Oden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i recently purchased the D90 and i want i a few good lenses to go with it. im looking at the tokina 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 AT-x PRO D AUTO FOCUS LENS. $600 on amazon. is that a good lens for the price. im into shooting wildlife. i dont want to spend money on the camera and then go cheap with the lens.....unless i can get away with it.

I don't have firsthand knowledge of it; reviews seem to indicate it's good, but not great. My concern would be that this is a fairly slow lens. Maybe have a look at eBay and try for a used 400mm f3.5 which can be found for somewhere in the $1500 range.

i recently purchased the D90 and i want i a few good lenses to go with it. im looking at the tokina 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 AT-x PRO D AUTO FOCUS LENS. $600 on amazon. is that a good lens for the price. im into shooting wildlife. i dont want to spend money on the camera and then go cheap with the lens.....unless i can get away with it.

From its specs and reviews I think it's an ok lens. To think of it this way, its a jack of all trades. A very big zoom range. It's not particallarly great at any one setting. But you will get decent pictures. I have never used it so I can't say I like it or dislike it. But I can say I have borrowed a Sigma 50-500 and its well worth the money. But its double what your considering at the moment. $1,150 or so. The Sigma has a very good reputation. I am talking the Sigma 50-500 is the good one, I used to own the Sigma 170-500 and sold it within 6 months didn't care for it.

I've used the Tokina 80-400 and I absolutely love it. I have to head out to work now, but will post some sample pictures from it later tonight.

Here's some sample images from the Tokina 80-400, as shot with my Canon Rebel XT

IMG_3775crop.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

thanks for the advice everyone i really appreciate it. great pics too. those are the type of pictures i will be shooting so that helps a bunch. how close to that yak(?) were you when you shot that pic? just curious

thanks for the advice everyone i really appreciate it. great pics too. those are the type of pictures i will be shooting so that helps a bunch. how close to that yak(?) were you when you shot that pic? just curious
I was about 10 to 15 feet, shot at around 150mm on that shot. The duck was shot at 400mm

Most reactions

Back