Tonight's moon.

IceCanAm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wind blowing 8-10 meters per second but managed to get some pics, I think this is the best one from tonight. Hoowwwlll.

Full moon by Kjartan Guðmundur, on Flickr

Thats a great shot, I think I'll go out there and snap a picture myself! Thanks for the motivation.

I tried using the same settings as the ones you used for your photo without the same result, only because I'm learning. I messed with the iso for a couple different shots and think I found the solution.

I am curious to see your result, few days ago i took a lot of pics and when i uploaded them to the computer i saw i forgot to turn off the image stabilizer. If you use tripod turn that off. lol

If you dont mind me adding them to this, Ill do that in a bit.

_MG_0305_zpsce6efd06.jpg

This was shot with the EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6, are you editing your pic?

That's good to start with, The only thing i did was lowering the exposure to about -75 to -1.00

Here is a little test shot i did with the camera last week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael79 this is your pic i just lowered the exposure to -1 what do you think of it now.

$_MG_0305_zpsce6efd06.jpg

It lacks the detail that yours show. Ill try again tonight!

Thanks for your time working with me,
Michael

It lacks the detail that yours show. Ill try again tonight!

Thanks for your time working with me,
Michael

Just to give you all my details i used a tripod and the remote shutter.

Michael, your focus is a little soft. This may be you OR it could be atmospheric. Upper atmosphere turbulence will distort an image and prevent you from getting crisp detail. I use the Clear Sky Clock to check the atmosphere: Clear Sky Chart Homepage When you look up your city, check the row labeled "Seeing" -- which refers to the turbulence of the atmosphere. The analogy we use is to imagine trying to read the date on a coin at the bottom of a pool. If nobody is making waves you can get a clear view of the coin and with a high power lens or telescope you can read the date. If I start making a lot of waves in the pool you can see the coin but you'll never get a very sharp photo of it -- certainly not clear enough to read the date.

I can see that the lower left side of your moon has a red tint. The opposite side... the upper right has a blue tint. That's caused by the atmosphere behaving like a prism -- bending the blue wavelength more than the red wavelength. This lateral CA typically occurs when you view an object while it's low in the sky. An object straight up at zenith would not exhibit this because you're looking straight through the atmosphere rather than on an angle.

I've had nights where getting a steady tack-sharp image is frustrating to impossible. I've also had nights where I can get gorgeous tack-sharp images.

If the image is just barely soft then you can tighten up the sharpening on it via software.

Thanks for posting the chart Tim. Might come in handy.

Yea this sky chart is nice. i cant use it though does not find my land hehe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back