Too far?

Not at all. I'd call it 'purple sunset.'

I like it!

you use Instagram as your photo editing software?

I found I was noticing the oversaturated color more than the picture and the scenery.

A bit far for my taste, but great composition- as always.

you use Instagram as your photo editing software?

Very helpful. Thanks for your contribution to the thread. Bless your heart.

A bit far for my taste, but great composition- as always.

Yeah it is a bit much but hey... Realism is over rated!

Yeah, a we bit too far for me too. I think there's a bit too much contrast and you've lost some of the semi opaque luminocity in the sky. How did you edit it?

I've been using luminocity masking in photoshop recently and I think that if you split this into two layers you could get a better result. I've also been colour grading with the calibration and hue panel in lightroom.

You may've taken it a bit "too far", depending on what you were shooting for or who you were trying to please but I've seen so many pictures presented on here that went too far but received praise. This confuses me. I bring this thought with me every time I come in here. I personally think it looks good if you like a picture that leans a little toward fantasy and I do but the purist in me screams out. It's an eternal, internal battle I struggle with.

Last edited:
Yeah, a we bit too far for me too. I think there's a bit too much contrast and you've lost some of the semi opaque luminocity in the sky. How did you edit it?

I've been using luminocity masking in photoshop recently and I think that if you split this into two layers you could get a better result. I've also been colour grading with the calibration and hue panel in lightroom.

Thanks for your comments. I don’t do a ton of editing so not sure I exactly understand your comments but will investigate and try to learn something. This was a jpeg that I took with my fixed lens af10 and edited on my iPad. I used a preset in Snapseed then messed around with the adjustment sliders. It’s a bit too hdr-ish even for me but I couldn’t seem to tone that part down without the grass in the foreground and the trees in the distance becoming blobs of shadow. After looking at it and messing around with it for so long I wanted other opinions. Thanks again for the input.

You may've taken it a bit "too far" but I've seen so many pictures presented on here that went too far but received praise. I bring this thought with me every time I come in here.

Yes I agree and that is partly why I posted it. Sometimes I think “too far” and everyone else is nominating for potm or gushing and I wonder if I’m just the odd man out. I guess if I’m questioning whether I’ve gone too far then I have my own answer.

Have you gone to far or not far enough? You have a wonderful shot full of vibrant colors, that when pulled into Lr is just over a full stop underexposed. If that was the intent then I apologize up front, but to me, it seems a tragic waste to not reveal the true beauty of your scene, but then again I'm an admitted color junkie. Anyhow with a one stop bump in exposure, and a few other quick adjustments, another take on your shot.
48699405423_2db03295e5_k-2.jpg

Though I didn't do any sharpening in post, if the above is a little to realistic, then a little Portra vibe might be more to your taste. Regardless of how you go, still a beautiful scene.

48699405423_2db03295e5_k-3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I don’t do a ton of editing so not sure I exactly understand your comments but will investigate and try to learn something. This was a jpeg that I took with my fixed lens af10 and edited on my iPad. I used a preset in Snapseed then messed around with the adjustment sliders. It’s a bit too hdr-ish even for me but I couldn’t seem to tone that part down without the grass in the foreground and the trees in the distance becoming blobs of shadow. After looking at it and messing around with it for so long I wanted other opinions. Thanks again for the input.

Ah.....you might struggle a bit with a jpeg. Luminocity masks are basically a way of making selective edits based on the luminace of the colours. It's a powerful way of making complicated selections and very effective. But if you are not familiar with editing software like photoshop or similar it can look a bit complicated.

Most reactions

Back