Too far?

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by SquarePeg, Sep 8, 2019.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your comments. I don’t do a ton of editing so not sure I exactly understand your comments but will investigate and try to learn something. This was a jpeg that I took with my fixed lens af10 and edited on my iPad. I used a preset in Snapseed then messed around with the adjustment sliders. It’s a bit too hdr-ish even for me but I couldn’t seem to tone that part down without the grass in the foreground and the trees in the distance becoming blobs of shadow. After looking at it and messing around with it for so long I wanted other opinions. Thanks again for the input.

Yes I agree and that is partly why I posted it. Sometimes I think “too far” and everyone else is nominating for potm or gushing and I wonder if I’m just the odd man out. I guess if I’m questioning whether I’ve gone too far then I have my own answer.

• Like Like x 2
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have you gone to far or not far enough? You have a wonderful shot full of vibrant colors, that when pulled into Lr is just over a full stop underexposed. If that was the intent then I apologize up front, but to me, it seems a tragic waste to not reveal the true beauty of your scene, but then again I'm an admitted color junkie. Anyhow with a one stop bump in exposure, and a few other quick adjustments, another take on your shot.
    48699405423_2db03295e5_k-2.jpg

Though I didn't do any sharpening in post, if the above is a little to realistic, then a little Portra vibe might be more to your taste. Regardless of how you go, still a beautiful scene.

48699405423_2db03295e5_k-3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  3. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ah.....you might struggle a bit with a jpeg. Luminocity masks are basically a way of making selective edits based on the luminace of the colours. It's a powerful way of making complicated selections and very effective. But if you are not familiar with editing software like photoshop or similar it can look a bit complicated.

4. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I have a raw file of this as well and may mess around with that one in Affinity photo which is similar to LR/PS. I have watched a few tutorials on masking and layering but it's not how I want to spend my time! Maybe I will revisit it in the winter when I am hibernating. Thanks again for your help!

• Like Like x 2
  5. K9Kirk

K9Kirk Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Know what you mean. I'll never produce the nice post edit pics that some people achieve just for the simple fact I don't have time to do things like layering, etc. either. I suppose if I were planning on going pro and starting a photography business everything else would come 2nd to taking my pics to the highest, PS limit.

6. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Using that kind of layering doesn't normally take that long, litterally a couple of minutes in the right shot where you don't need to do other complex editing.

But yeah, with work, family life and other commitments it can be a struggle to get the time to edit. I was out shooting on Saturday and have a 16GB card almost full of shots but have barely managed to touch them yet. I usually get round so some but a large number remain untouched, I look at it like if I can't be bothered to find the time to edit them they probably weren't good enough shots in the first place!

7. K9Kirk

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep, it's all about time. When you're already stretched a few minutes might be too much. I might add that as an example, yesterday I shot a large fight sequence between four birds fighting (looks like "Bird UFC", just crazy!) and I thought they were all worthy of post editing in PS but man, I just don't have the time to edit 125 pictures. It took way too long just to pick the best ones and crop them and I still have too many to post all together.

8. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    I recently did similar with my red kite shots. Ended up with 120 odd ones that I thought were good enough to process but I just did all of them in lightroom. I found that picking one and editing that, then copy paste develop settings made it a bit easier. Still took me about a week to work through them though!

9. K9Kirk

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering if that were possible to do in PS-E '18 but I have no idea how to do it. I'll look into it but if you can help out I would greatly appreciate it.

10. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    I know in full fat photoshop you can create actions which are similar. I'm not familiar with PSE but a quick google search leads be to believe you can use them in PSE but they need to be created in photoshop. Not sure if there's a way round it

Using actions to process photos in Photoshop Elements

• Like Like x 1
  11. K9Kirk

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

I am a lazy editor these days. With my switch to Fuji for gear and an iPad Pro for editing I find that I am ok 99% of the time with a Fuji jpeg that’s been cropped and tweaked a tiny bit in either Affinity or Snapseed. I love not having to edit and I definitely have more time for shooting or other things. It would have to be a missed exposure of a must have shot to get me to edit the raw file at this point (Cliffs of Moher from my trip to Ireland is the only thing recent I can think of). Or maybe something I’m planning to print.

I do think the ability to edit is a very valuable skill to have and I know I need to work on that aspect of the craft. I try to watch the tutorials and follow along but it’s just not my thing. I keep having to rewind because my mind wandered off!