too much white (washout) with my new camera... should I exchange it?

garybeck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had an Olympus C700 UZ since 2001 and I've loved it. I recently got it wet and it stopped working so I had to find a new camera. After weeks of reading reviews and searching for a minimum 10x zoom with electronic viewfinder camera, I recently purchased a FujiFilm S1500.

So far I'd say this thing is loaded with features that my old Olympus didn't have. But I'm less than impressed with the photo quality.

Although it has a lot of manual settings I usually use the point and shoot mode, like I did with my Olympus. I'm finding one particular issue, when I take outdoor photos, if there is anything white, it is all washed out and completely white, like that part is overexposed.

It's really bothering me and I'm wondering if I should try to find a different setting, or try to find a different camera. I'm still within my 30 day return window.

Here are a couple shots to show you what I mean.

white1.jpg

(look at my dad's hair)

white2.jpg

that one seems to be the worst...

I'm not sure if this is just the way the camera is, or if it's just a setting I can adjust.

I've only taken one batch of photos so far. I'm also not sure the colors are as vivid and the focus is as crisp as my old Olympus, but I think I need to take more shots to be sure... but on my initail evaluation, this white flooding thing is a real problem.

I have 2 more weeks to decide if I should return it. any help or advice is appreciated.

thanks
gary in vermont

Check the ISO settings and see how high they are.

Learn to use it...
your over exposing the images (your shutter speed isnt high enough, your aperture is too low and your iso may be too sensitive)
There is a huge difference between a P&S camera and a bridge camera...
1st being a bridge is harder to use than a compact...

Learn to use it...
your over exposing the images (your shutter speed isnt high enough, your aperture is too low and your iso may be too sensitive)
There is a huge difference between a P&S camera and a bridge camera...
1st being a bridge is harder to use than a compact...

thanks, I realize there is a difference, but my old Olympus was not a straight PS either. it was a bridge camera like this... but when I just use the auto/default settings it took great pictures. I basically only changed out of auto to: 1) take action shots, 2) closeups (macro) and 3) control flash operation. I will try to play with the ISO settings and see if it helps but I'd like my camera to take good pictures in auto mode....

Could your exposure compensation be set too high?

I don't know if you can mess with that setting with the camera, but take a look at that. The photos are all overexposed by at least a stop if not more.

First thing is look in the manual and look up reset. There should be a way to do a reset to factory settings. Do this just in case a setting you don't know about was changed.

Then try a couple more pics. And see what you get. This is the first place to start.

like others have said...it could be any numbers of things...shutter speed, ap, iso, exp comp.
the manual should help you set it for your needs and if it's still doing it...then hmmm...

OK, I checked my ISO setting.... I am on AUTO mode so the ISO is set on auto. I put it on manual mode and checked the setting and it is on 100. I changed it to 400 just to see what happens and the photo I took came out WAY too overexposed.

I think, if I use the AUTO mode, it should be able to take a decent picture that is not overexposed. Am I asking for too much? I'm finding that all my photos are a little over exposed, not just whites.

I have not changed any of the factory settings but I will try the reset that someone suggested above and see if I get better results. thanks to everyone for the help so far.

i would agree, in AUto mode it should be doing a better job; did you check to see if you had activated a + stop in the exposure compensation function?
that will create issues for you.

It would help us to know what settings the camera took those pictures at, and what setting your using on manual mode and light conditions. If you cant provide that simply because you dont know, Well.....theres your problem right there.

Indoor or outdoor?
AP @ ?
Shutter @ ?
WB @ ?
ISO @ ?
Exposure Compensation @ ?

Check the, ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, Exposure Compensation as people have mention. Last, take a look at the metering; if it's set to spot metering on black, it will over expose. On a sunny day, you don't need ISO400, 100 or 200 if under shadow. Goodluck.

edit: for the sec photo, I can see the 2 persons isn't focused. You need a little more time on experimenting your camera. Also, I am guessing the ISO isn't high either for the second photo because the runner at the back isn't clear.

Kcc

Most reactions

Back