Took the plunge and purchased the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I needed a 70-200mm and there are non available via Nikon so I just ordered the Sigma version.
I did extensive research and the fact that it is comparable to the Nikon VR II for $1000 less is great imo.

I'll let you know how it is when I receive it next week.

I needed a 70-200mm and there are non available via Nikon so I just ordered the Sigma version.
I did extensive research and the fact that it is comparable to the Nikon VR II for $1000 less is great imo.

Great choice, I love my Sigma lenses!

I have a Sigma 24mm 1.8 and I really enjoy it!

I've also been thinking about purchasing a Sigma lens. It's just really strange how some people swear by them and others won't spend a dime unless its Nikon or Canon. The money that can be saved by going third party route is huge...especially if photography is only a hobby or your barely starting out in your business. Let me know how this lens works for you!

I've also been thinking about purchasing a Sigma lens. It's just really strange how some people swear by them and others won't spend a dime unless its Nikon or Canon. The money that can be saved by going third party route is huge...especially if photography is only a hobby or your barely starting out in your business. Let me know how this lens works for you!

Well that is in part because when you speak to alot of so called photography experts, they will tell you only to buy Nikon or Canon and that third party is rubbish. When you actually begin to do your research and take yourself out of the ignorance zone you begin to realise that third party lenses are actually pretty darn incredible in terms of value for money. You hear all the moans and groans about autofocus problems etc etc... but when you realise most third party manufacturers reverse engineer their lenses to focus with Nikon and Canon systems you then begin to understand how difficult it is to design a autofocus system for the third party manufacturers.

Some people don't buy third party because the quality control in third party companies is infamous for being sub-par.

I'm certainly no expert here but I recently bought a Sigma lens for my wife. I thought it was interesting to note that the rep who helped me at the camera store pointed out that Sigma is one of the few manufacturers to still be making lenses in Japan, who many consider to be the best at it. I claim no accuracy to this statement, just passing along some information obtained from what seemed like a fairly informed source.

But in addition, the lens is excellent producing great results.

I think the argument against third party lenses is that their tolerances arent as tight as Nikon. ie they'll let a slightly subpar lens slide out the door a little more often. So, if you get lucky (or exhaustively audition prior to buying), you save a boatload of cash. However, if you get unlucky and get one that's just a tad bit off, you end up with subpar results. I rolled the dice on my sigma 10-20mm and couldn't be happier with it. But I have seen people with bad sigmas, and its a pain in the rear to convince whoever you bought it from to take it back a lot of times.

also, I think some of the 'nikon only' people are more referring to Nikon's absolute top tier lenses, which, from what I've seen, do tend to blow the doors off third party competitors. The consumer grade Nikon lenses do seem to just be overpriced (though again, their quality control is probably better).

Great choice, I love my Sigma lenses!

Agreed, got Sigma's lenses as well. :p

Ok so, I got it tonight and I haven't done any real testing except in the house. My first impression is that this lens is easily the fastest focusing lens I own. It's not really saying much, but I thought my 50mm focused fast and it's faster. It also weighs a ton!

Your gonna love it....I love mine..

Sigma has come along way

I own several Sigma lens.....I have not had a bad one yet.....

Yeah, it's pretty effin sharp at 2.8!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back