What's new

Torched & Looted

inaka

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
264
Reaction score
23
Location
Oakland, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Found an abandoned building this weekend...fun!

Had to avoid the cops, looters (one who scared the living *&^& outta me inside) and also had to avoid falling through the top floor (not easy!) but here are a few I snapped this weekend from this large set:

1.

Looking In by InakaMike, on Flickr

2.

Dining Hall by InakaMike, on Flickr

3.

Classroom by InakaMike, on Flickr

4.

Lounge Area by InakaMike, on Flickr
 
Like all of them! Like your use of HDR. But for number 1, I'm not sure if you should have included that little bit of sky
 
Like all of them! Like your use of HDR. But for number 1, I'm not sure if you should have included that little bit of sky

Thanks for your comments!

Funny you should mention that. I actually toyed with cropping that exact shot for that very same reason, but what I ended up liking about including it was that it put the other shots in context but displaying the height of the building, etc., so I kept it. Good eye. That particular shot was so tough to shoot. I had to go ALL the way to the the end of this utterly fragile balcony that I thought was going to collapse at any second. Not easy! :)
 
Number 4 is my favorite with the couch. Nice job!
 
Love #2 and #4!!! Great job. Do you know what kind of building this was?
 
#2 and the last one are the only ones that do it for me.

Good composition and exposure. Interesting perspectives. The others are "meh" in terms of composition and exposure. IMO.
 
Nice stuff. I love finding abandon buildings or old worn out stuff. Great photo subjects.
 
Nice use of leading lines in #2.

Not saying you did right or wrong, but why did you choose HDR for this?
 
Good interesting set. Your use of HDR compliments them.

Paul
 
Love #2 and #4!!! Great job. Do you know what kind of building this was?

This is/was an old abandoned naval academy building.

#2 and the last one are the only ones that do it for me.

Good composition and exposure. Interesting perspectives. The others are "meh" in terms of composition and exposure. IMO.
Thanks for the feedback.

If you're a fan of #2, here are some variable compositions I composed for the same subject:

5.

Down the Dining Hall by InakaMike, on Flickr

6.

Down the Dining Hall by InakaMike, on Flickr

7.

Dining Hall Left by InakaMike, on Flickr

8.

Center Dining Hall by InakaMike, on Flickr
 
Nice use of leading lines in #2.

Not saying you did right or wrong, but why did you choose HDR for this?

I chose HDR for these because it really brought out the details of the wood and the debris. The range of exposures needed to show the detail would be too great for standard photography, in my opinion. Since the sun was blowing out all the light from the windows, and some areas of the shadows were extremely dark.

I could post the standard exposure image and you'll see what I mean I think.

All off these shots were 9 shot bracketed exposures using a tripod.
Thanks for your feedback. Cheers.
 
Yeah, love it.
Love the depth of the room with lights coming through the broken ceiling...

I actually don't even critique the technical aspect of the photo, and just plain enjoy looking at it. THAT is the whole point of this, what we do. Cameras get in the way of photography.
 
I agree with Joshua; I'm not a huge fan of the sky to the left in #1.

Thanks for the feedback! What do you guys think of this crop/composition of #1 vs. #9?

1. (Original)

Looking In by InakaMike, on Flickr


9. (New Crop/Composition)

Looking Inside by InakaMike, on Flickr

Any feedback is appreciated as this one in particular had me really going back and forth on the crop...
(I cheated by adding the image of an extra board over the sky in #9 to get more image without the sky.)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom