It may sound totaly off base and old school but I would start with film. If you learn to shoot manual and with film it becomes so much easier with all of the new technology. I do not know your age or budget or any of that but a decent film body can be found at a lot of pawn shops for around a hundred bucks.
Michael
I disagree 500%.
It's much cheaper to start with a P&S Digital, because you don't have to pay to have the images printed. Well, you don't have to print images at all, and you can do a lot more experimenting and learning for free. You also get to learn basic PP, and at least how to crop for better composition, which leads to learning to frame better in the field. Again, you don't have to pay for a single print to see the results of your experiments.
Then when you decide you actually have some talent and are getting some decent images, you can move up to a film camera and at least get some decent images worth the cost of printing.