Totally new to photography, first photo..

Richard1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey.
Just got my first real camera, a Canon G1 X, and im totally new to photography.

Went out and took a couple of photos this evening, and this is one of them..

img0763iw.jpg

Would appreciate all comments since I'm here to learn....I was just messing about with the manual settings and think this photo looks OK
but ****, what do I know :D Dont know anything about the different settings yet...

Well, you managed to use a classic technique of leading lines, where you use the lines in your frame to guide the viewers eye, kinda. hehe
I dont like the colour of the image, looks too night shot-ish. Try processing the image to a black and white and boost up the exposure as it looks a bit low. Or switch the white balance to make it a bit bluer

Are you shooting in RAW? Does your camera allow that? Read up on RAW format vs JPG format. Essentially, RAW captures ALL the data from the picture while JPG is an end result of your camera applying some processing to it. If you get into photography and start to edit images, RAW is the way to go as you have more pixels to play with.

If you are shooting at night, watch for slow shutter speeds. Slow shutter speeds will introduce blur frmo your body's movement. Even if you are really trying hard to be still, you still breathe. Use a tripod to shoot at slow shutter speeds.

I would highly suggest a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Great introduction to how photography works and some decent key basics in how to make an image.

Thanx for the comments! I'll see if i can find that book :) This photo is a JPEG version, my camera allow me to shoot in RAW if in manual mode (jpeg only in automatic). But since I cant view the raw file on my computer (I'm getting adoble lightroom as we speak) i could'nt post it.

I'll try to make the raw photo in black and white and boost the exposure.

As I said I'm totally new to everything that has to do with photography and appreciate all help, barely know the difference between shutter speed and aperture haha

Great time to learn! :)

I've had a few photography students (mainly for show and concert shooting) and I always try and go in with learning manual stuff over letting the camera decide. Autofocus is fine, but do your settings yourself. Nothing wrong with the semi automatic modes, once you know what they are doing :)

Mind if I rework your image quick quick?

Here's what I managed to do with adobe light room (totally new to that programme too haha), changed the white balance and boosted the exposure one level up;
This was the result:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3108/img07632d.jpg

Seems like I cant upload a raw file (too big? So it's the raw image converted into jpeg..) Above is a link to the new pic...seems like its gigantic if I try to just post
the photo here..but I'll try anyways:

img07632d.jpg

And of course...u've got free hands to do whatever with the pic :) will be interesting...

its good for a practice shot. keep shooting.

Thanks ceejtank!
I meant to go out and shoot during the day time but I didnt have any time until like 6pm, its dark at this time here in Sweden and freezing cold haha so i just took a couple of quick pics and went home.

I'm gonna keep shooting and practise until I know everything :)

Thanks ceejtank!
I meant to go out and shoot during the day time but I didnt have any time until like 6pm, its dark at this time here in Sweden and freezing cold haha so i just took a couple of quick pics and went home.

I'm gonna keep shooting and practise until I know everything :)

Practice makes perfect. No one ever picked up a camera and was the best they ever were. That being said - before you take a picture of something, I try to have in mind how I want it to look when I'm done with it. Then I try and think - why am I taking this shot? Do I like it? Would I frame it on my wall? If the answers no, I hesitate on taking the shot. That's just my own internal thought process though. Maybe it will help you with your shooting, maybe not. Either way - I hope you enjoy your new camera, and take as many shots as possible.. you can always delete the bad ones! haha

Thanks for the advise! My first goal is just understanding the different settings; ISO, shutter time, aperture, when to use a flash etc etc. and therefore I will start off with just shooting different kinds of photos in different settings and light...

I don't have any pictures on my walls so thats what I'm aiming for, putting my own stuff up there! :D

Thanks for the motivation guys

Couple of quick edits. And yes, you shoot in RAW, process the RAW, but export and use the JPG :)

$blackwhite_rework_colour-1.jpg

$blackwhite_rework-1.jpg

In Lightroom, I addes some Clarity to both (+25 - +45), upped the contrast and played with the tones as well.
For the colour version, I pushed the slider for the temp closer to blue and for the tint closer to green.

Hey Derrel, thank you very much! I'll be watching the tutorial later :)

Here's another try in light room:
img07633.jpg

Here's another one i took today:
img0747g.jpg

Any comments on that one? :)

Richard, You managed to do a decent global white balance correction on a night shot!!! Woo-hoo!!!

Take a peek at some of the FREE Lightroom 4 tutorials by Hal Schmitt

Free until January 31, 2013: Lightroom 4 Complete Video Training with Hal Schmitt

Derrel,
Thanks for posting this link everywhere on the forum!! I spent probably an hour last night on the videos and it has been awesome so far. Very helpful and exhaustive. They really cover just about everything! I may buy the package once the free trial runs out. These are some truly helpful videos and I thing they would be great for reference.

Back on topic, I really like the B&W version of the original image.

Most reactions

Back