Tough Decision to Make. Help Please!

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am expecting a decent chunk of money soon from my grandmother and have been trying to think of what to get. Right now im using a nikon d40. I love the camera to death, it has taught me so much. But I feel it's time to move up. I had my sights set on a d700, then i played with a d7000 and like it a lot. THENNN a guy from work told me to look at a 5D MKII. at this point, switching systems doesnt really matter as I will have to get new lenses anyways unless I get the d7000.

I would want to grip the d700 too. But the 5dmk2 has that built in. nice feature. But I have an sb600 that would be nice to be ale to keep and use.

any suggestions? lol

Thanks

I am a Nikon fan and hate to see you switch but I'm confident the canon is a great camera. One thing to consider, if you switch, the SB-600 should be easy to sell since it is super popular. Check around to see what a good used one sells for. That may influence you one way or another.

Mick

edit; also; If you plan to keep the D40, get another Nikon. If you sell the D40, it should get a good return too. I think my D40 could fetch as much as $300 w/ lens. I got a D7000 and plan to keep my D40 for tossing in a backpack now and then. I could easily hand it to someone to take pics of me and my family or even loan it to a good friend.

Last edited:
Last I checked, 5D2 is not auto gripped, thats the 1D series...same as the D3 for Nikon

The 5D2 has some known autofocus issues. Nothing major, but its way behind what the 7D can do. Hopefully the 5D3 will be better.

The 5D2 is similar to the D700
The 7D is similar to the D7000

If you use manual flash, you can still use that SB-600, as triggers work with any flash.

Comes down to the lenses you have (you said you dont mind switching, but it can still be a pain).

Not sure I'm much help, both are pretty similar and can yield amazing results. I'm envious of your choice :)

I would be selling the d40 with the kit lens, a 55-250 non vr, a 35 1.8, and a nice bag if i were to sell it. I could put that money into a lens. but i dont know. I wish I could play with the 5dMKII. I love my nikon but for the price, the 5d is nice.

Wow i didnt look for myself earlier. he said the grip was built in lol. But 21MP is nice. but for sure not needed at all haha. I kind of want to stay with my Nikon. I have a hard time figuring out a 50d at work or any canon for that matter. but i well electronice so i could figure it out lol.

I would be selling the d40 with the kit lens, a 55-250 non vr, a 35 1.8, and a nice bag if i were to sell it. I could put that money into a lens. but i dont know. I wish I could play with the 5dMKII. I love my nikon but for the price, the 5d is nice.

Selling the D40 is a simple solution to generate funds for another purchase. I sold my D5000 for that reason. You might consider throwing it up for sale first. That will give you a little time to study your options. That's what I did. Good luck.

i put it on craigslist but got no offers lol. i have been looking at the d700 for a long time now but just today someone said to look at canon. Never crossed my mind haha

Get the D7000 and a decent lens, put the rest of the $$ away for college.

p!nK

i went to college then quit lol. wasnt my thing.

The 5D-II is in almost no way similar to the Nikon D700...the 5D-2 is a $389 EOS Elan film chassis filled with the AF system from a Canon 30D-crop-body, and $2,000 worth of sensor. The AF system is not even optimized for a FF size sensor in the 5D-II. It lacks a pop-up flash and lacks a remote-flash commander system. The D700 is a $1,000 body filled with $1,500 worth of sensor and electronics, all designed expressly for a FF d-slr body--the D700 body. The final retail price is close, but the 5D-2 is a good sensor in a cheap body. The D700 is a good sensor in an excellent body.

Not sure what you expect the "camera" to do, and how much of the work you plan on putting in with flash, supplementary lighting, and good technique. The best camera for some people means a high-resolution image, while for others, getting the shot IN-FOCUS counts for more. Make your choice accordingly.

thanks derrel, i actually saw your post about that in a thread about why the 5d doesnt have a built in flash.

i think im going to go with the d700. its what i have wanted for months and im so comfortable with nikon lol. now i just have to wait until my grandma get this money haha.

Im with ya Tyler, canon seems to be doing great things with their new cameras MP/Video/ISO/Video focusing which seems to always outdo Nikon. But you know, most of those things are not necessary at all, and as many times I can say ive picked up a canon.. they confused the hell out of me. lol The controls are completely backwards and in different positions. Nikon raised me, now their stuck with me. I hope the d700 does well for you. seems to be a great camera but I have no problem sticking with DX for now. =)

Wow i didnt look for myself earlier. he said the grip was built in lol. But 21MP is nice. but for sure not needed at all haha. I kind of want to stay with my Nikon. I have a hard time figuring out a 50d at work or any canon for that matter. but i well electronice so i could figure it out lol.

I have a few friends that have the 7D and kept telling me I needed to sell my T2i and upgrade to the 7D. But none of them live close enough for me to try it. Finally, I took a gift card one of them sent me and used it to rent one from BorrowLenses and I'm glad I did.

The 7D is great, but I am so used to my T2i and I've invested so much in accessories for it (8 batteries, grip, intervelometer, etc..) that I couldn't find enough justification to switch. Especially since, for my day job, I mostly shoot video and there is no difference between the two on the video end.

I have also used BorrowLenses to rent lenses before buying them. The reviews on one lens I was interested were great and I almost pulled the trigger, but decided to rent it and another and try them side-by-side and I ended up buying the other one instead.

Most reactions

Back