Toys R Us

sovietdoc

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Getting new toys is always sweet :) Just got a macro lens! Can't wait to shoot with it this weekend. If anyone is interested I could try and post some crops but that prolly won't happen till Saturday.

img2700b.jpg

img2697yj.jpg

img2699u.jpg

/thoughts

It's huge. This is officially the biggest sub 200mm prime I've ever seen. It's actually taller, wider AND heavier than a 70-200 f/2.8 ZOOM. It's ridiculous. The part at the end of the lens is metal but the middle outer casing where the switches are mounted are plastic. The switches are also plastic and will need getting used to jumping from best-in-class 70-200 II build quality. Like I said, the lens is heavier and it feels like quality. So far I've only been able to test HSM speed and it's pretty dang slow compared to 70-200 II but that's to be expected.

86mm filter size is kind of weird but I don't use filters so I can careless. Focus doesn't hunt at all. I've tried shooting in the dark with it and was pleasantly surprised. OS works pretty darn good too, I'll try posting some shots with it and without on the weekend but so far I am impressed. And that's coming from using 70-200 II most of the time. I am sure IQ isn't flawless but I'll discover more of that when I get a chance to properly test it.

I am trying to get into macro to shoot insects so I am not sure if this purchase was the right one but only time will tell..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back