What's new

Tractor Languishing In Field

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
May 25, 2014
Messages
616
Reaction score
420
Location
Feather River Country
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My new Nikon D5300 and lenses came several days ago and today was the first time I was able to go out and shoot. There's a place just down the road from me that has several pieces of old farm equipment - really old stuff - and I wanted to try my new camera out on it.

Shot with a 70-300 Nikkor FX at 165mm, 1/250th, f8 about an hour and a half before sunset. Post processing done in Lightroom 5.5 and Corel Paintshop Pro 6. Please let me know what you think.

$mill-creek-garden013.webp

Thanks,

Jim
 
from your title I expected to see something different...

as for the picture... vignette is too strong for my taste, shadows are too harsh and I'm not sure what I'm looking at
 
It look like it may have been horse drawn/pulled by a tractor so the title may be a bit off. I would go one step back on vignetting scale and see what that looks like if you like that effect. Is the machine to battered for one of the entire machine under the same conditions. It looks like the type of thing that might have a finger bar mower attached to it, there may be other shots you have not considered.
 
I agree the vignetting was too much. I like vignetting, but have to learn to ease up on it. I made a few more minor edits. I appreciate the comments. I'm sorry my title didn't forewarn you about the actual content of the photo. It's not about the whole tractor, it's only about the part you can see. The nice thing about that is you can make up anything else about this piece of equipment that you want. ;)

$mill-creek-garden013.webp

Best R'gards,

Jim
 
'Ceptin' that's not a tractor at all... not 100% sure, but if I had to guess, I'd start with "McCormick-Deering sickle-bar mower".
 
Gee, I was really kinda hoping this would be about the picture and not the title of my thread.
didnt_know.gif
I don't know what the machine is. It looked like some kind of tractor. I am not a gardener, farmer or equipment operator. If it had been a floor covering tool laying in the weeds, I'd know the manufacturer, model and even UPC code. But even then, it wouldn't have been about what it is or isn't, it would still be about the picture.

Jim
PS: @robbins.photo, THANK you.
 
Details are important! ;) Seriously though, I think there was a good image there, but the crop is jus too tight and there's too little visible machine.
 
Maybe I should just be happy that people look at my picture a long time imagining what the rest of the machine looked like, what that clump of stuff is on the seat, where that hair came from dangling from the bolt holding the seat on the sprung stem... or my favorite thought: what nekkid buttocks would look like sitting on that thing.

But actually, this picture is just one example of the kind of image I like to capture. I like the bits and pieces of a whole - the grill work and layers of paint of the hulking giant of a (real) tractor, the coiled, rusting barbed wire hanging on an unfinished fence, the details of a 1958 DeSoto Adventurer hubcap, the delicious red paint of a woman's lips. And after yesterday's session, I realize that trading my Panasonic Lumix FZ200 for a Nikon D5300, instead of getting the new Lumix FZ1000 was a very wise move on my part. Composing a poorly worded title for my first shot with this camera was NOT a good move. :(

Thanks,

Jim
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom