Train Track (C&C Please)

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this last winter and finally getting around to processing them. I also plan on entering them in my photo clubs competition in a few weeks. So I'd really love to hear some opinions on how to make the pictures better by editing them differently if possible. If posting the original would help I would gladly do that as well.

20130112_WestSpringfield_Tracks-6-4 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

After seeing the others in color I have to wonder if a color version of this might not be preferred. I just am not feeling this one in B&W.

After seeing the others in color I have to wonder if a color version of this might not be preferred. I just am not feeling this one in B&W.

Here is what it looks like after processing before converting it to B/W. I have to submit 2 color pics and 2 b/w, and I thought this would be a good one for the subject of "lines".

Attachments

• $20130112_WestSpringfield_Tracks-6-3_resize.jpg
    $20130112_WestSpringfield_Tracks-6-3_resize.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 118
I saw the color shots in the other thread and I agree that this one is a better choice for B&W conversion. The others had a lovely contrast of oranges and delicate blues, and those contrasts don't appear in the color version of this shot. I quite like it in black and white. Spooky. But I'm also a big fan of monochrome foggy shots.

After seeing the color I agree the B&W is better on this one. I can see why you would want to submit it for a "lines" theme. I think what distracted me was how dark the trees came out in the B&W concersion. For me the dark dark trees it made it hard to remain focused on the rail line itself, but that could just be how I see it.

Photography aside....I hope you are taking these pictures SAFELY. It's not like the train can swerve to miss you!

I am an avid rail-fan photographer. I love rail photos. BUT...and a big BUT.......

before I even tried to get a photo like this I spent almost a full year learning about how the Rail roads in my area work. I know what every signal means to the conductor, and what they mean to me. I know every radio channel they use, and ALWAYS monitor those channels when I am near the tracks. I listen to the dispatch center, and to the conductors on the train. I know exactly where any and all trains in the area are.

By looking at the picture, and making a semi-educated guess, (because you were at 18mm) I bet this is NOT at a highway road crossing. It's on a curve, in the fog with very limited visibility. Because it's double track it's probably a MAIN LINE with high-speed trains running in both directions.

Please be safe in taking pictures like this.

I saw the color shots in the other thread and I agree that this one is a better choice for B&W conversion. The others had a lovely contrast of oranges and delicate blues, and those contrasts don't appear in the color version of this shot. I quite like it in black and white. Spooky. But I'm also a big fan of monochrome foggy shots.

Thanks Leonore for the comment.

After seeing the color I agree the B&W is better on this one. I can see why you would want to submit it for a "lines" theme. I think what distracted me was how dark the trees came out in the B&W concersion. For me the dark dark trees it made it hard to remain focused on the rail line itself, but that could just be how I see it.

Woodsman I"m glad you agree. HHmmm so maybe if I edited the trees a bit with some dodging then the tracks and fog would stand out a bit more. Good point, I'll give it a try and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestions.

Photography aside....I hope you are taking these pictures SAFELY. It's not like the train can swerve to miss you!

I am an avid rail-fan photographer. I love rail photos. BUT...and a big BUT.......

before I even tried to get a photo like this I spent almost a full year learning about how the Rail roads in my area work. I know what every signal means to the conductor, and what they mean to me. I know every radio channel they use, and ALWAYS monitor those channels when I am near the tracks. I listen to the dispatch center, and to the conductors on the train. I know exactly where any and all trains in the area are.

By looking at the picture, and making a semi-educated guess, (because you were at 18mm) I bet this is NOT at a highway road crossing. It's on a curve, in the fog with very limited visibility. Because it's double track it's probably a MAIN LINE with high-speed trains running in both directions.

Please be safe in taking pictures like this.

Thanks for the safety advice. This was on our Metro track that runs both ways at very specific times, not at the same time though at probably 35-40 mph. So I had a pretty good idea of when I could and couldn't expect the trains to come. It is funny that you mentioned it because about 2 min's after I took this picture I heard the train coming. Just grabbed my gear and walked to the bottom of the track and waited for the train to come and go, walked right back up and continued shooting.

It's a train track, which is cliché... but as clichés go, it's a very nice one. I wish you could have kept the tracks so they finished with both rails hitting the bottom of the frame, though.

Most reactions

Back