Trains and people just don't get along

A town I live near called Branford CT and the train station platform only has a little yellow line to stand behind enough to keep from being hit by a train but not far enough away that if you lost your balance you can easily go over down on the tracks. I did night photography there one night and watched the trains come trough.There is a PA systems that sounds when a train is approaching and LED lights showing train but they don't slow down if there is no stop at that station.I don't recall if there was a horn sounded but do remember the cold winter air I got blasted with when it passed by.

...I'm not sure the train was stopping at that station, and trains can't slow down like cars can when they see snow they don't expect.
Stopping or not stopping, that's an unrestricted platform (nothing separating the public from the tracks); he should be proceeding through there at <15mph, with bell sounding. He should have prefaced his entry with a - - . - on the horn as well.
Oh you sweet silly naive Canadian you. Did you not see from the original post that this was in NEW YORK! The minimum speed you want to travel in a school zone there is 60mph unless you want somebody climbing in your back window. :biglaugh:

Yeah, I live about 50 yards from the Amtrak Northeast Corridor and about a mile from the New alone on train station. The trains that don't stop are going 60-70mph on their way through.

he should be proceeding through there at <15mph, with bell sounding.
How about 125 mph (201 kph) to 150 (242 kph).
Even the regional trains get to go 125 mph

The train I ride the most, the California Zephyr is not allowed because of the tracks and infrastructure, to go faster than 79 mph.
The first train I'm taking in May runs on tracks that allow it to go 90 mph.
Between St. Louis and Chicago they recently finished upgrading the tracks and infrastructure so passenger trains can go 100 mph.

Freight trains have lower speed limits because they are so hard to stop in an emergency.

Last edited:
Yes thats fast, see the guys arm when it passed and his jacket crazy.If people want to stand that close to passing trains good luck with that.I never understood that, like in subways standing right by the edge, some one bumps them or pushes them by by stupid.

Bizzare! When I used to take Amtrak from San Diego to LA, the trains proceeded slowly until the last car was clear of the platform and then gave 'er the wellie. I don't recall blowing through any whistle stop like that.

Maybe things have changed or regulations or something but yea thats just nuts.I am suprised people are not sucked off the platform.LOL

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back