Travel Camera Recommendation

Strychnine.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I travel pretty frequently and love being able to document whenever I go somewhere particularly interesting. I've had to downgrade from a DSLR to my iphone camera for the portability, and it's not giving me anywhere close to the results I'm wanting. I'm hoping someone has a good recommendation for a pocket-camera that'll work for general photography.

I'd say my budget is around 300-400 max. I mostly do street stuff/night photography. I'd like something that I'll be able to take into a concert and take reasonably good pictures with. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but a step-up from what I'm currently stuck with.

Sony RX100 iii

I would get a Ricoh GR Digital IV on the used market.

Think of a Nikon 3300DX with a 35mm f1.8 prime lens. First, it meets your price point. Second, that body doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body--it relies on the lens have the motor. So that saves size and weight. Third, that 35mm prime is small and light, sharp, good for low light, and good for street photography. When I was using that lens, I got chromatic aberration in bright light but otherwise very sharp, quick and good for landscapes, buildings, and people (inside and out).

A couple of years ago I switched from making still images to shooting video when I travel.

On my last trip I used a DSLR, my smartphone, and an action camera to shoot my video clips.
On my next trip I'll be leaving the DSLR at home and just use my smartphone and an action camera.

I use a Yunteng VCT-288 monopod tripod w/fluid head. I also use a variety of other mounts like a suction cup mount and a super clamp.
I also use a good quality external microphone. It plugs into the smartphone but not the action camera.

Smartphone - Samsung Galaxy Sky & Open Camera app and an Aukey 2-in-1 wide angle/macro lens
Action camera - YI Lite
Microphone - RØDE VideoMicro.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You mentioned pocket sized. Give this a read through.

10 Best Cameras Under $300 | 2018 Point & Shoot, Compact Reviews

Or Google Bridge Cameras under 400.00. A little bigger than pocket size, but gives you many of the same adjustments as a DSLR. I have a Fujifilm S8630 for travel. It's older now, but still takes awesome pictures. Newer and better ones can be bought used in your price range.

bridge camera under 400 - Google Search

Read the reviews. Based on your comments, you want something that will work well in low light. Find one with a lens that does that. Hard to recommend a specific model.

Not quite a pocket camera but a used Nikon D3100 and a good lens will fit that bill. It's a jewel of a camera that work very well in any situation I've had it in. Honestly the 18-55 f 3.5-5.6 G VR that came with mine is outstanding. This was taken with that combination,hand held.

DSC_2012_216tag5.JPG

If you want to go with Canon and a DSLR it would be the SL2. I think the problem you will have is your low light requirement versus cost. You can try to accomplush this with a fast prine but that may exceed your budget. This is where a full frane would be useful but that will exceed your size and cost requirements. So, I think that you should evaluate our suggestions relative to their low light performance. I understand Sony cameras do well in low light.

I see you are looking for a pocket camera, which would rule out DSLRs and Mirrorless. I will give you my thoughts on some options. I carry a Nikon S9900 as a pocket camera and a backup to my DSLR on trips. It is a discontinued model which is very close to the current Nikon A900. It has a small sensor (1/2.3) but takes perfectly acceptable pictures for viewing on screen or for enlargements up to at least 8" X 10" (I haven't tried larger). The A900 goes to 35X, which covers most anything. It shoots JPEG only. The A900 is under $400.

I looked long and hard at the Panasonic Lumix ZS100. It had most of what I wanted, 1" sensor, 10X zoom (25-250 fov), and shoots RAW. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the price (about $550). If I didn't have DSLRs and wanted a good all around travel camera, this would be it.

my personal choice (not recommendation) was the Olympus EM10 III with the 14-42EZ
it is almost pocket sized and has far superior images.
P4180046-Pano.jpg

I see you are looking for a pocket camera, which would rule out DSLRs and Mirrorless. I will give you my thoughts on some options. it.

actually some mirrorless cameras have a detachable viewfinder and can easily fit in a pocket with 'pancake' style lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back