Traveling with Camera Gear

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Next spring I plan on studying abroad in Budapest, Hungary and I most definitely want to bring my camera gear with me. I know I should insure my gear but is there any other traveling advice people can offer me for being abroad and having expensive camera gear? Good articles would be good, as well as personal advice.

Most battery chargers will work on 240v, so you probably don't need a voltage converter -- but you do need a different plug (a round one). Radio Shack will have them, but you can probably also get them at Best Buy.

Budapest is beautiful -- go to the top of Gellert Hill, and shoot across the city on a beautiful day. Or go to the spot just under the Chain Bridge and shoot it at night...gorgeous. The Terror House is not a place for photography...but you should still go at some point to truly understand the history of the city.

I agree with carrying the camera in a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. I bought a Tenba insert, and took it to the Army / Navy store -- tried various bags until I found one that fit it perfectly. Works great.

Oh...one word of warning. I've been in some rainy places before, but I've never seen it rain as hard as I saw it rain in Budapest. We were there in spring, and got soaked several times. It would be a clear sky and all of a sudden the bottom would fall out. It was as though you were standing under a faucet, it was coming down so hard.

Now, we might have been in town for some odd weather or something -- but a good umbrella, and some protection for your gear might not be the worst ideas.

Oh, and if you get a chance to go out to the Roman ruins and Szentendre, they're both fascinating.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!! TheOtherBob I will definitely look into those places, I am also looking forward to traveling to Prague and Vienna and other beautiful cities nearby.

be sure to share the pics here when you get back!
clear.gif

Most reactions

Back