Traveling with IR Film

I believe it to be, based on its thinness, but have not tested my assumption. ;) I've always asked for a hand inspection, and point out quickly that it is meant to be opened only in total darkness, so they don't pop the top off the canister and ruin it all. :x

We're going to ship it ahead the next time we venture someplace. I don't like fooling with these airport inspectors, but getting a hand inspection usually works fine. :D

Theoretically it's less sensitive, as IR film is the other side of the natural light spectrum from X-Rays. Therefore UV is closer than X-Ray than IR. However, AFAIK, IR film tends to be more light-sensitive than "normal" film, so it's probably about the same.

My advice is to get a string-net bag, put all of your films in it and smile. Say that you're a keen photographer and that you have previously had issues with film and X-Ray machines. Ask really nicely and politely if they wouldn't mind conducting their explosive swab test and their manual inspection rather than put it through the machine. You've got a reasonable chance of success if you don't encounter a peaked-cap type moron.

If you do find a security fascist, then there is nothing you can do - your films will have to go through the machine. It's in a theoretically good cause, so try and take it well. Gentle persuasion is the only option open to you and you'd be good to bear it in mind given "recent events". Getting a strop on in the airport is a guaranteed way to get the inside of your body inspected thoroughly!

R

i hear it is more sensitive though its heresay.

i am going overseas in may and i am having my film shipped before hand and developed there.

--Ryan

My answer to airport security screening and film... buy some small Avery labels. Print them up with the words: Attn Lab - Push to 1600 and put them on the outside of the film containers. Not on the cartridges themselves since you're obviously not going to have all of your film pushed. :D The clear containers work best for all but IR and make security staff more comfortable since they can see the film themselves without having to open them. Any Professional film I take is clearly labeled: Professional Film - Handle with Extra Care. As for IR film, I mark it in bold letter as being IR (experimental) film. I put all my film in a gallon sized zip lock bag and insist on hand checking. After seeing my labels, I've never been denied. In the US, you do have the right to insist on a hand checking of your film. Outside of the US, it's hit or miss. If in doubt, ship it ahead.

Most reactions

Back