Tree Bloom

mfdrookie516

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the Lexington Cemetary today to both see it for the first time, and to take some pictures. Being 'winter' here (though, at 50 degrees and only about 2" of snow all year, it doesn't feel like it), I wasn't expecting to see much in the way of blooming. I found this tree blooming, and had to take some pictures. I suck at identifying trees, so I'm honestly not real sure what kind it is. I've had my camera for about 3 weeks now, so I'm starting to figure some things out. The wind was blowing like crazy today, so taking macro shots was very hard (the bloom kept coming in and out of focus :( ). I had the shutter speed set at 1/200 and took about 15 pictures of this same shot. I'm thinking this is still somewhat OOF though. I'd appreciate any tips on improving this shot, short of waiting until the wind isn't blowing.

1/200, f/14, ISO 800, no flash. T3i w/ 100mm f/2.8

IMG_9399.jpg

My guess is "star magnolia", and I'm surprised to hear it is blooming when there is still some snow about. But then I'm only guessing... would need to compare this photo with mine from the star magnolia bush in our garden, where the blossoms don't show any earlier than April... and the last time I took their photos was two springs ago (at least).
And my tip is: yes, do wait for days with no wind if you want to take photo of this kind! ;)

Thanks for the feedback :) I think you're right about it being some sort of magnolia. Our weather here is crazy. We were in the 70's with severe storms (lots of tornadoes here in Ky on Wednesday and Friday), yet today we are under a winter storm warning with snow predicted.

As far as the exposure is concerned, does it look good to you? That's the one thing that I've been working on more than anything. I think that even though the center is slightly OOF, the overall shot was probably one of the best I've taken.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back