Trees - is there anything here or not?

The tree has interesting shape, one can see, that it went through some dramatic times. Too bad, that you didn't have a view camera loaded with Tmax film at the moment. Tmax would make milky smooth use of all shades in that picture.:sexywink:

I like the shape of the tree and it's a decent sky. I would like to see the tree isolated against the sky if possible without
Not quite sure what you mean deeky....

The tree has interesting shape, one can see, that it went through some dramatic times. Too bad, that you didn't have a view camera loaded with Tmax film at the moment. Tmax would make milky smooth use of all shades in that picture.:sexywink:
Yeah... too bad about that, but then I'm not much of a TMAX fan.... :er: I guess I could get my MF gear and load a roll of FP4...

In the color version, I find the material at the bottom of the frame too busy and bright, it doesn't give weight to the bottom. The color one works for me if you crop a more or less square image off the top, eliminating all the stuff on the bottom.

In the black and white the darker masses are not quite there for me, they feel a bit thin and unsupported. I would probably try burning large areas toward the bottom to create a better visual balance, to see if it can be done without destroying the sense of the light. I suspect not, I think when it gets visually balanced, it will look fake and bad.

The clouds are also almost but not quite there. There's a lovely echo of the tree's shapes in the clouds, but I think there's too much overlap or something.

If it were me, and I wanted to really make something of it, I'd go back earlier or later in the day and try for more darkness lover down, and shoot for half an hour or so with whatever clouds came by to try to get a serendipitous arrangement of clouds. But then, I love me some inky pools of darkness, so that's probably just my biases talking.

Thanks Andrew; I plan to go back, unfortunately that won't be today as the whole area is fogged over. I'm going to try again when the weather's better and see what else I can do with the scene.

I like the shape of the tree and it's a decent sky. I would like to see the tree isolated against the sky if possible without
Not quite sure what you mean deeky....

If there is a way to frame it, nothing but the specific tree against the sky. No other trees in the background, no tree on the left. No foreground. It's the minimalist in me coming out I guess.

I like it; there is an eery factor to it, yet comforting, at the same time. Neat pic.
I think a sky free of any clouds would really make that tree pop, however. :=)
Just my $.02

Nice. I like both, but I think I prefer the color version a little more. My eye keeps going back to the cloud in between the main & dead branch and for whatever reason, the color seems to subdue it a bit, at least for me.

To be honest, all of the interesting stuff is in the top half.

This is the part my eye goes to:
8932010324_e9f62eae50_o.png

I think it is very nice, it has an artistic touch to me!

If there is a way to frame it, nothing but the specific tree against the sky. No other trees in the background, no tree on the left. No foreground. It's the minimalist in me coming out I guess.
Ah, gotcha! No, there was no way to capture that. I wish there had been, but due to the slope, underbrush, etc.... no could get.

I like it; there is an eery factor to it, yet comforting, at the same time. Neat pic.
I think a sky free of any clouds would really make that tree pop, however. :=)
Just my $.02
Thanks and yes, agree!

Nice. I like both, but I think I prefer the color version a little more. My eye keeps going back to the cloud in between the main & dead branch and for whatever reason, the color seems to subdue it a bit, at least for me.
That cloud sort of bothers me too; I'm going to try some different conversions when I get back to my main computer.

To be honest, all of the interesting stuff is in the top half.
Hmmm... that's a whole 'nother take. Cool - thanks for the idea!

I think it is very nice, it has an artistic touch to me!
Thanks! :)

Definitely an interesting tree and worthy of a photo. I like it, but I think I like the color one better as well - which surprises me. Maybe it's a no-no to tamper with landscapes and nature shots, but it may look better without that dead branch hanging down in the middle. Just my two cents.

+1 --- that dead branch, being so light, is distracting when everything else in the picture seems to be reaching for the sky. But I still like it in black and white.

"Trees - is there anything here or not?"

Sure there are trees, underbrush, the sky and clouds. Nice landscape shot Tirediron.

"Trees - is there anything here or not?"

Sure there are trees, underbrush, the sky and clouds. Nice landscape shot Tirediron.

:waiting: I suppose I did ask for that, didn't I?

Thanks! ;)

Sorry, I really do need to end my day and go home or out to shoot some photos. Being cooped up in the office gets to me sometimes. Only 30 minutes left.

Just clicked on the color version to compare, and it's hard to believe it's the same tree. Wow! Just noticed that difference.

Most reactions

Back