Tripod for Canon 80D

Zaname

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I want to buy a Canon 80D and looking for a good tripod for this camera. Do all tripods have the same bolt size for attachment? Thanks.

Hi all, I want to buy a Canon 80D and looking for a good tripod for this camera. Do all tripods have the same bolt size for attachment? Thanks.
No, but most do.

Your camera probably has 1/4"-20.

I once had to purchase a thread adapter, but that was for mixing components that weren't together to begin with.

I use Red Snapper.

What are your priorities in order of importance?

Cost?
Weight?
Size?
Portability?
Speed (to setup and take down)?

You'll be able to mount the 80D on anything.

I have an old Manfrotto. It is super heavy, bulky, slow to setup, and were I to buy it new, a bit on the more expensive side. But, it is built like a tank.

One word of advice. One gets a tripod to stabilize the the camera and eliminate vibration. Whatever you get, make sure that in the conditions in which you use it, it will achieve that goal.

@photoflyer has a really good response but I will add one MAJOR thing to that. COST should not be in the top 5 priorities in order of importance.

Why do I say that? Easy, you can find excellent used tripods once you know what you are needing/wanting. You don't want to go cheap on a tripod because you will end up spending way more money in the long run.

You want to consider the height, weight, portability, ease of use WAY more than cost. There are plenty of great tripods in the $200-500 range, which is honestly what I would suggest to keep you from buying something that is cheap and will break on you quickly.

But as with most things, keep in mind that cheap is relative. I am primarily a sports photographer, so a $1,000 set of tripod legs (no ballhead) is cheap compared to $6,000 bodies and $10,000 lenses.

Find a used tripod.
manfrotto, tiltall, bogen, etc.
cost is an issue if on a budget,but the size on the 80d is 1/4 x 20 so most tripods should work.

the thing to look for is portability and weight. Avoid the cheap end tripods.
They will cause more issues than solve.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back