Tripod for some one just getting started.

crissyanon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can some some one tell me what took look for when purchasing a tripod? I am trying to spend no more then $150 if possible. I don't have a problem buying a used tripod but I just don't know what to even look for. I will using it at the beach and taking pics of kids. I have the Nikon D3100.

It will need to get down to the kids level. Having the lens slightly below their eye level is best.

The beach means sand, so the leg extensions will need to be sealed well. The beach aslo means wind, so you'll need a weight hook to add tripod stability. (Most hang their camera bag from the hook. Mine weighs about 20 lbs.)

Being able to remove and cantilever the center column is handy.

3 leg sections are more stable than 4 leg sections and get the largest diameter leg sections you can afford.

The height without the center column raised any needs to be slightly below your eye level when standing.

It needs enough weight capacity to handle at least 2 times your heaviest current and future camera/lens combo.

I recommend you look at the Giottos MT line of aluminum tripods, like the MT-9371. www.giottos.com

If nothing else the Giottos website it will show you what tripods are capable of doing.

Last edited:
Agree with everything KmH said, but on a $150 budget you are not going to get a really great tripod. It will also be a first tripod so you really don't know what you need for the type of work you will do in the future. My advice would be to get a basic tripod for no more than $100 and learn what it can't do (it probably won't limit you noticeably for a while), and then later on get a more expensive one that is exactly what you need. Any tripod will hold your camera steady, barring strong wind or a lot of nearby vibration from trucks, etc., and all the ones I have seen allow a pretty good vertical range in set-up (except table-top models - make sure you get something that is at least 5' high without the center column extended). Slik and Calumet Photo have some pretty good inexpensive tripods.

Look at Vanguard tripods, they have the Alta Pro series and the Alta Plus series that seem nice. You may need to up your budget a little. Best Buy has some cheap tripods but not sure how well they'll stand up. I'm in the market for a tripod and I plan on getting the Alta Pro 263 as they have gotten good reviews.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back