Tripod for under 150$

Brotage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
as topic says under 150$ I'm away I get what I pay for...

so far I ordered a XTi with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and hoping to get the 70-200 f/4L if that gives you an idea on weight.

Ill be using it for pretty much everything (infrared, skateboarding.. and so on)

help would be much appreciated

I'm away [aware] I get what I pay for...

I got a SLIK 300DX for $120 bucks, another $8 for a nice soft case. It is a reversible unit with a metal head and decent control , meaning sensitive adjustments are possible. The only thing I miss are the quick release mechs of more spendy units.

-Shea

bump...
Looking for one too.

Ok, I ended up with a slik pro 700DX tripod. It's a beast, 7 pounds but it's excellent at what it does.

I'd reccomend going to B&H and look at slik tripods, they have a couple "Slik Pro ###DX" tripods in different sizes all for 99$-125$

see my .sig file for what I use - it is the $hit :hail:

light but sturdy - no problem with my 2.8 70-200 etc

ball head with quick release

$135 IIRC from WOLF CAMERA special ordered, took a few weeks to get in from Italy. I looked and researched for weeks on end until I found this and Iam VERY happy with it.

I had my reserves about dynatran, but I got AT-A105 CF legs and don't know the model ball head ( ???04 I think, it supposedly has a 40 lb. weight limit ) and for being a car tripod it's done well for the past few months. I have used it in some very cold wet weather without any problems. Nothing froze or locked up, and it is stable with a heavy load ( Nikon F2 MD-2/MB-1 and 300mm f4 )I believe the tripod was $75.00 and the ball head was about $60.00 on E-bay. NO!, it is not a Gitzo or Arca, but it has taken some abuse, which is why I went with cheaper legs and head.

hi, any downsides on getting a super cheap tripod?

Flimsy, low weight capacity, poor plastic leg locks, lack versatility, shakes like my great grandfather with the palsy when a short telephoto is on it. Other than that, I love 'em. :D

You said, well try to say it yourself - You get what you pay for!

This usually means poor control, possible flop over at the head and more subject to vibration or a loose dog, etc. Avoid the cheapos with mechanisms that try to stabilize the legs. IME you can not put your legs there when doing long action shots in a seated position.

That said everyone has a right to take the same upgrade path. ;)

-Shea

My parents got me one about 4 years ago for Christmas. I'm sure it was a $40 model from Wal-Mart and it's never let me down.

I picked up one of the Dynatran (amvona.com) ones off ebay, got it for like $32 shipped. It weighs about 8-9lbs, but overall it's pretty quality. The head is actually really nice, but some stuff on the legs could use a little more attention. But for $32, it's rock solid, the ball-head is smooth and nice and it works just fine.

Ok, I ended up with a slik pro 700DX tripod. It's a beast, 7 pounds but it's excellent at what it does.

I'd reccomend going to B&H and look at slik tripods, they have a couple "Slik Pro ###DX" tripods in different sizes all for 99$-125$

I was originally looking at that one (legs only) $84.95 with the Slik AF-2100 Pistol grip ball head $79.95. Anyone have experience with that head?

I then saw the Slik Sprint Pro Tripod with Ball Head and case for $79.95...to save some coin, I'd just get a quick release for this head Bogen RC2 $26.95

I think I'm leaning toward option 2.

I'm having the same problem. I got the Canon 350d this Christmas (which is incredible!) and my old tripod cant hold up the weight. It always goes flopping over and while my hearts almost stops beating i have to grab it (never too far away from it. So needless to say it's time for a new tripod.

Not to jack this thread or anything lol, sry Brotage but can someone explain to me what the benefits of pan tilt, and ball head, and 3 way vs 2 way. I've never looked at tripods much because with my last camera we had a tripod around the house that worked with it so i didn't need to find one. Also if you have a tripod you like/liked a lot it would benefit me greatly. I'm looking to spend around 150 as well.

I'm having the same problem. I got the Canon 350d this Christmas (which is incredible!) and my old tripod cant hold up the weight. It always goes flopping over and while my hearts almost stops beating i have to grab it (never too far away from it. So needless to say it's time for a new tripod.

Not to jack this thread or anything lol, sry Brotage but can someone explain to me what the benefits of pan tilt, and ball head, and 3 way vs 2 way. I've never looked at tripods much because with my last camera we had a tripod around the house that worked with it so i didn't need to find one. Also if you have a tripod you like/liked a lot it would benefit me greatly. I'm looking to spend around 150 as well.

A ball head is for quick, easy movement. Pan heads are for more exacting movement, like doing very small increments to get something just right. I believe 3 way tilts forward and backward, side to side and rotates, where the 2 way just goes forward and back and rotates.

Most reactions

Back