Tripod & Head Quandary

chris miss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The more I read, the more confused I get. I'm trying to find a tripod/head to fit my needs (lightweight) and my budget ($400 tops for legs and head). I am currently using a Manfrotto 3205GN3 with a 3130G fluid head. This setup was purchased for use with my Nikon Fieldscope. I want to get another tripod/head that is lighter to be used exclusively for my camera (Rebel Xti).

I can't seem to tell the difference between these 2 legs (both of which have a $50 rebate offer):

Manfrotto 190CX3 Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs ($250)
Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs ($300)

From what I've read, much praise has been given to the Manfrotto 488RC2 head. Is that overkill on the 190 legs? My largest lenses so far are a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro and a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro. My dream would be to have a 400mm lens, but I can't see that happening unless I win the lottery! So the legs/head will have to accommodate what I've got. I am a total amateur who just plays around with shooting flowers, birds, landscapes and some portraits of the grandkids.

My question on the legs (besides what's the difference between the two above) is will the 190 be stable in slightly windy conditions (beach breezes). Or would I be better off going with the 055XPRO (but I'm not fond of the additional weight). Or is the weight difference so minimal I shouldn't even consider it?

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Most reactions

Back