Tripod head

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What tripod head should I get if I want to take awesome panorama shots? I plan to visit the Caribbean and I want to get awesome shots.

I think the pan heads are best suited to take panaramos, but there's more to it then just taking the pic. You need to spot meter one area so the exposure doesn't change throughout the pics. Be sure and read up before you get there. It may help if you practice locally first.

What tripod do you have - this is probably more important!

I have a manfrotto 055proB and a manfrotto 486 (RC4) ball head that has a single indexed "ratchet" locking knob for 360° panoramics and +90° -90° tilt movements. Great for shooting panoramics.

the tripod and quick release plate also have levels so you get the camera perfectly level.

@ EOS_JD I have the 055XPROB and the 486(RC2) tripod.

@Kidchill Thanks for info I appreciate. I took few panos while here in Afghanistan but i had few stitching errors so it didnt come out as great but still good capture though.

I dont have much time to practise here since I am in a war zone. I definitly wanted to take some great shots on my vacation.

I generally use either a Novoflex or RRS pano head on top of a ball head. If necessary I then use a slide on top of the pano head, to centre the lens' entrance pupil over the axis of rotation. This helps with accurate stitching, especially if there are objects close to the camera. The order, from the ground up, is this:

tripod;
levelling device (ball head, levelling head, levelling column etc);
panoramic head;
slide, if necessary;
camera.

Best,
Helen

Helen is correct. It helps if you have some equipment designed for panorama to get those awesome stitched panorama shots. The one thing in Helen's list I do not use is a ball head. I find it just too hard to get set. My pano setup consists of the following;

Manfrotto 3021BPro tripod legs
Leveling column
Manfrotto 300N panoramic head
Novoflex mini focusing rail

You have to get the nodal point of the lens directly over the pivot point to get shots that will easily stitch together, hence the focusing rail. Unfortunetly it is not a cheap setup.

yea I was doing a little research on the current setup you metioned its not cheap. I try my best to go with the equipment I have and maybe one day I can upgrade to something professional.

The goal is to keep the camera on an even plane for each image. You can do this by using a table, step stool, or any other object that keeps the camera from tilting. There are a bazillion tripod substitutes that can be used for pano shots - even the roof of a Hummer. I've made great panos using a fence posts, rocks and trees.

@Michael T Thanks for the great info. I just use the ball head I have for now and cross my fingures on great shots.

It's worth practicing hand-held as well - even those of us who have the gear don't always carry it, or can't always use it.

Best,
Helen

I will practise hand-held too but being here in Afghanistan I dont get much practising. I am consumed with my daily work i try to get out and take but its too dangerous so its like snap and good and hope it come out alright.

I made my first stitched panoramas without leaving my hotel room - I was just curious to see how easy or difficult it was, and whether or not I needed a tripod, never mind a pano head or slide.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back