Tripod Heads...

Dubsteez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
first post ever...
I am looking to buy my father a new tripod head for his SLIK tripod for xmas since i broke his. I have a few questions,
For starters are tripod heads universal? Could i get say a Manfrotto head for the SLIK tripod? or do I need to get a SLIK head? Or are there even multiple mounting techniques?

Also do you have any suggestions for a good head under $100?
He has a canon 10D and some good sized lenses so it can get heavy, so I'm looking for quality without breaking the bank. Also want it to have a quick release.
IMG_0934-1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure that the head on his tripod is removable. Some Sliks (the lower end models) have fixed heads which are interchangable. If it is a removable head, then yes, it should be a universal mount and therefore a Manfrotto (or RRS, or Giottos, or whatever) will fit. What type of head really depends on his preferences, but most photographers tned to prefer a ball head such as the Manfrotto 488 vice the tilt/pan that most consumer tripods come with as "stock".

I'm often inclined to say when it comes to such hands on things as photography items and when the price clambers up out of the accessories and cheap gadgets for fun line, that the best thing is to either ask the person outright - give them a voucher for a leading photographic store - or take them out shopping to get the item.

Granted these lose some of the same effect that getting the item and wrapping it all up have- but on the other hand its an item that is very individual to a persons shooting style and needs/wants - you might get a great ballhead when he really wants/needs a 3way - or vis versa (even if its a direct replacement of the old one).
So empower him to have some input into the choosing of the tripod head to ensure that you are getting something that will not only be a good gift, but be well received and used.

yes the head is removable, at the base of the head theres a little collar that unscrews the head from the tripod. id say the hole were it screws on is about an inch in diameter.
thanks for the input guys

Most reactions

Back